2: Meeting time

Kemi parked her car in the space allotted for cars as Ijeoma placed her makeup kit in bag and zipped it. Ijeoma sighed and glanced at the two storey building that stood before them covered with glass panes. "What are we going to tell that devil. I'm sure she'll be glad we're late."

"There's no need to call her a devil. I'll just explain the situation to her." Kemi said. She knew their supervisor; Mrs Afolabi would be on their necks. The woman always seemed to find faults in whatever anyone did.

"She'll never understand. I don't know why she is still working here. I'm sure she is as old as the building. Her mates are working in senate house, she's still here." Ijeoma said. Kemi brought the car to a stop and turned off the engine.

"It's not like you will vote for her if she happens to be a candidate for the senate house." Kemi replied.

"Me? Vote for that witch? The country is bad enough as it is. We don't need people like her. Besides, I can't kill myself to vote for anyone." Ijeoma steeped out of the car and closed the door.

"What do you mean you can't vote?" Kemi asked as she grabbed her blue leather bag and got out of the car.

"Why do I need to vote? Whether I vote or not the people that will rule will still rule." Ijeoma replied with an exasperated sigh. Kemi locked the car and they began to walk towards the building.

"It's when you don't vote that the corrupt ones will rule," Kemi replied.

"Please, spare me the lecture. It's just one vote. One vote can't do anything." Ijeoma said. Kemi shook her head ready to oppose but she kept her mouth shut. Ijeoma wasn't in the mood to listen. Talking to her now would be futile.

"Ohh... see her waiting for us. It's like she doesn't have anything to do," Ijeoma whined. True to her words, Mrs Afolabi stood at the sliding doors, glaring at them with her sunken eye sockets. Her heavy set figure blocked up the door way and her meaty arms were folded across her chest. She was dressed in a grey gown that seemed to accentuate her protuberant stomach.

"It's judgment day," Kemi whispered. Kemi held her left wrist and fiddled with her wrist watch. Mrs. Afolabi's eyes narrowed causing her sockets to sink into her face even more.

Ijeoma slowed her walking pace. "What are we going to tell her? She looks like a pregnant chimpanzee."

"Ijeoma," Kemi cautioned. She knew how much Ijeoma despised Mrs Afolabi.

"Won't you hurry up, you lazy women. You're not paid to snail your way to work." Mrs Afolabi barked. Kemi hurried towards the woman.

"Now what stupid excuse do you have to give me?" Mrs Afolabi asked, staring down at them with a superior look in her eye.

"We are sorry ma. There was a little incident on the way," Kemi explained.

Mrs Afolabi hissed and eyed both women. "Indeed. Stop making useless excuses and get in. We're having a meeting now."

Kemi sighed and exchanged a relieved glance with Ijeoma. Apparently, Mrs Afolabi was in a good mood. Usually, she would bark fire and brimstone at them; Sometimes, going as far as threatening to bring down heaven just because of a little mistake. They followed her into the office building, deposited their bags at their various cubicles before checking in with the receptionist.

"Come on Kemi. We can't afford to waste any more time. You know how she can be," Ijeoma whispered as they entered the room. The meeting room opened up with a strong wooden door to reveal about fourteen members of Dakema Cooperatives seated around a metallic table and discussing in audible tones. All eyes were raised as Kemi walked into the room. She avoided staring into any eyes. This was truly not her day. She wished she could just disappear to her seat without any of the stares. Ijeoma didn't seem to mind the attention as she walked with her head raised and sat on her seat.