Thief for a Bride (Excerpt)

Genevieve followed the guards passed the other cells and out of the dungeon. They led her back through the manor to the duke's private study and opened the doors. After quickly ushering her inside they closed the doors behind her with a loud click. The duke stood in front of the large window the overlooked the courtyard. He looked over his shoulder at her and motioned for her to come closer.

"There is something I want to show you," he said as Genevieve cautiously moved closer to him. She looked out the window and felt the blood drain from her face. Crispin was in the courtyard with five other guards. Two were standing at the edges of a small stage that had been built while another guard had his foot on Crispin's back, holding his head to a chopping block.

"Crispin!" Genevieve screamed but he couldn't hear her passed the glass. She whirled on the duke, wanting nothing more than to smack him across the face. "You said you would spare him!"

"On the contrary," the man said calmly. "I said I would see what I could do which, unfortunately, was not much. You see, the officials in this city don't take lightly to crime, especially thievery."

"Crispin didn't take anything, it was just me," Genevieve explained.

"But he was still watching out for you in case any officials came wandering by. He is just as guilty as you."

"Please, I'll do anything if you spare him," she pleaded. The duke seemed to ponder this for a moment before smiling slightly.

"I suppose there is something you could do," he said slowly.

"Name it, I'll do it."

"Marry me."