Thief for a Bride (chapter three - The Preparations)

"Genevieve," a male voice whispered as they gently shook her shoulder. She jumped awake and rolled over onto her side only to jump off the bed when she realized it was the duke who lay beside her. "You slept through the entire day and night. You now only have today to find a suitable dress for the wedding." 

"What are you doing in here?" she demanded. 

"This is my home. I can come and go as I please," he replied stiffly. He sat up on the bed with his legs hanging off the side. "Isabel has a bath ready for you so you can wash up before you go looking for a dress." He suddenly noticed how pale she looked and that she was shaking slightly. "Are you all right?" he asked. 

"I'm fine," Genevieve replied as she turned to leave and meet Isabel. The duke grabbed her gently by the wrist and pulled her back towards him. 

"You're pale," he added suspiciously. 

"It must be the light." 

"You're shaking." 

"It's cold in here." 

"Why are your eyes red?" 

"They're just dry." 

"Are you sure you are all right?" 

"I'm fine!" she snapped at him. "You are in a much better mood than this morning. Why do you suddenly care how I feel?" 

"You are to be my wife. I'm honor bound to care for you," he said matter-of-factly. 

"Liar, you are just happy Giovanni is gone and I'm alone with you." 

"Yes, there is that," he said with a sly smile. He pulled her between his legs and gently cupped her face with his hands with his fingers wrapping around the back of her neck. Genevieve put her hands around his wrists and tried to pull away but he laced his fingers through her hair and pulled her face closer to his. "I saw what you did in the courtyard and might I say I am thoroughly impressed. I thought having a thief for a bride would be nothing but trouble but you are surprisingly loyal." 

"My lord-" 

"Please, Genevieve, call me Desmond." 

"Desmond, do not fool yourself into thinking I would ever be loyal to you. I was saving my family. They are the only ones who have my loyalty." Desmond just chuckled before releasing her. She stepped back towards the door as he stood. She tried to feel for the door handle but couldn't seem to locate it as Desmond took three large steps until he was standing right in front of her. Genevieve suddenly grabbed the handle and turned to open the door when Desmond slammed it shut again. He had one hand on the door while his other hand rested on the wall beside it with Genevieve between them. Her back was to him but she could feel his gaze searing into the back of her skull. He chuckled lightly. 

"You would be wise to reconsider with whom your loyalty stands, Genevieve," he said coolly as he rested his lips against the side of her neck. "I'm not the kind of man who takes disloyalty or betrayal lightly." As soon as he took his hand away from the door Genevieve flung it open and ran down the hall. She hated showing weakness but she couldn't stand being around that man longer than need be. She walked down the spiraled staircase, relieved to find Desmond wasn't following her. He hadn't told her exactly where Isabel was waiting for her but she had noticed a bathroom at the bottom of the staircase while Isabel had shown her to her room. Sure enough as soon as she opened the door Isabel was waiting for her with a smile on her face. 

"Good afternoon, my lady," she said sweetly but frowned when Genevieve moaned. 

"Please, just call me Gen," she told her. "I don't need to be reminded that I will soon be married to someone against my will." Isabel let the subject drop as she helped Genevieve undress and get into the tub. The hot water felt like heaven on her sore muscles as she relaxed in the water. Isabel gently scrubbed her hair while Genevieve washed her body herself.