Four

Adrenaline spikes through my nerves, which cushioned most of the pain I should've felt from the impact.

There's no time to think. As soon as the dark van begins honking again, which is more frantic this time, I clamber to my feet as fast as my racing heart, and make my way along the pavement with an awkward gait. Pangs of pain crawls upon my thigh and the whole of my back.

But I know I should carry on nevertheless.

Then the hardest part of panicky escape droops in—where I should go. There have been no luxury of space in this city nor anywhere else in Pelnora since the time of my birth. No parks, no farms, no forests, nor any other vacant spaces between houses except for a few alleys.

Whichever street I choose, I know I'll only come through a whole flanking rows of cramped up houses or shanties. In need for better words, there's no escape.

Unless I break in one of these towering homes.

"Kiera, wait for me!" Oliver calls out as he tries making his way down from the gnarls of spire.

"No don't! Don't go down!" I yell without sparing him a glance, picking up speed.

If the van follows me, which I think is likely since I'm the only one who fall from the tree, then that means there's a high chance that it is only me whom they've spotted. That means they'll only be chasing me, not Oliver, and Oliver can meet up with me once I am able to escape, but if he'll risk himself by following behind, I'm afraid we'll both end up on our graves.

"But Kiera, we can't split up!" he protests as he carries forth. I think this is the time to split up.

"Dammit, Oliver! Just do the damn thing I said!" I retort as I bolt away much faster now. This time, Oliver turns quiet. As I get convinced that he's opted not to follow me, I decide to do the only thing that I know would save me . . . break in houses. There's nowhere else to go, and this van is certainly faster than me; I'm like a mouse being chased down by a feral cat.

The roar of the van gets louder as it maneuvers through the pavement.

If I can run as fast as my heart, I would've already trekked the whole of Pelnora. From what I can remember before the dump truck could make it along the streets, there are only two of them: the truck driver, and the van driver. Rest are probably left for the detonation, so that means none of them can possibly shoot me while they're driving and giving chase at the same time.

But they can ram me along the road.

I dare spare a glance behind as I barrel through the slippery pavement, and I realize the driver really has the urge to run over me as he speeds up.

At this rate, I need drastic countermeasures.

As soon as the marble stairs of the portico ahead reaches my sight, I force an extra spurt of speed; my nerves pumping blood into acid, nevertheless I ignore the pain. Sheer adrenaline gives me pair of wings as it takes over my body. I'm just a measly woman working my life at a grocery store, and I'm not a super human of any sorts. This van would certainly batter over my skinny body any moment now. 

The plant boxes perched along the pavement between me and the van are the only reason I'm still alive, for it's the only thing that slows and blocks my chaser down.

The sudden vibration from my slacks pocket turns my attention. Since I left my phone together with my bag at the grocery store, there could only be one thing behind the vibrations—Oliver's security measure.

I hastily fish the small device form my pocket. The red button subtly glows as a small metal pad protrudes from the side, it's a feature I've never laid eyes on before, and static starts to buzz from it.