bonus: "tell me you don't love me"

" we should leave our lovers and be  with one another "

lovers and be
with one another "

"It shouldn't feel like this."

His heart rate increased at her words, hands gripping the edge of the sink. There was a moment of silence as he pressed the phone up against his ear before he forced out his next words. "It's going to be okay."

"No, it's not. I can't do this, Barry. I can't go through with a marriage I'm not committed to."

"Then why do you say yes?" He took in a deep breath, anxious for her answer.

"I don't know! I was stuck in a moment."

"For four months?"

"I wanted to settle down, okay? But-" She paused.

"But what?"

"But he's not the right person."

"How can you be so sure?" Barry asked. But he wasn't sure if he wanted to know the answer.

"Tell me you don't feel it."

"Cassie-"

"Tell me you don't love me," her voice shook, tears threatening to spill over.

In that moment, Barry could have sworn time stopped. A sharp pain struck him in his abdomen as his breath got caught in his throat. The birds stopped chirping, the trees stopped swaying. It was like nothing else in the world mattered.

He could have told her he loved her. You can't go through with this, he would say. But he didn't.

"I can't."

" You can't or you won't?" He could hear the sadness laced within her words, his heart aching.

"I'll see you at the wedding, Cass."

And with that, he hung up.

———

Barry fixed his tie, his palms sweating. He was nervous. It's not everyday you see the woman you love marry someone else.

Harold, despite his name, was a great guy. A resident at the local hospital, he had his life set out for him. He was the kind of guy who made girls swoon. The same kind of guy that made Barry jealous. He wanted to hate the man but he couldn't. Harry made Cassie smile, that's all Barry could ask for.