The First Eclipse

Shalinis POV

It was the Festival of Eclipse, a celebration that occurs on the day the moon would cover the sun and the world becomes momentarily dark. It was also the only day when people were not sectioned off into their rigid caste, the time when everyone in the land was equal- or so the Emperor had said when the festival was first announced years ago. But the truth was evident for everyone to see, it was all to keep up the facade that everyone in the empire was beloved - the castes still remained. The Sudras served the food for everyone all day under the hot sun. The Vaisyas hung up decorations all around and tried to appeal themselves to the Kshatriyas and Brahmins, taking care of their every need. The Emperor and royal family would be at the front and center of the parade, not a toe touching the ground beneath them. And the Untouchables were hardly seen, fleeting around in the shadows, like they always did. It was just like any other day, except with a little more noise, color, music, and food.

But there was one thing that made the festival my favorite day, The Royal Game of Ur, or what is was more commonly known here, The Game of Twenty Squares. It was a game that had come from the Egyptians and had grown popular here in the capital. From the palace to the streets, all the people of the Mughal Empire were affiliated with the small flat circular pieces that move along the intricately carved board. It was the only thing besides the law and the Mughal name that unified the people of all castes. The simple board game had transformed into something greater than a hobby people did to pass the time. It became the judge of a person's intelligence and quick wittiness. In fact, the game was so respected that it was even one of the determining factors the Kshatriya war generals used for their rankings. There were even trading's and deals that were waged based on the game. Today, the biggest competition was held in the city's central and anyone was allowed to participate. Though that was the case, I could see the game tables occupied by the high rankings only. The Sudras merely watched from a distance, after all, what Sudra would dare to challenge? Well, I would be crazy enough to. My thick brown cloak swished around my small frame, covering me whole, leaving just my eyes to the outside. With just a look, no one would be able to say for sure that not only was I a Sudra but also girl. It was easier this way.

Walking along, I spotted an unusually large crowd, surprisingly consisted of figures in both worn rags and silk robes. What's happening, I thought, wiggling my way through the bodies and somehow managing to stubble up to the front where the other kids had gathered. Two figures sat opposite each other, both someone a stranger to me. My eyes widened slightly at the garments that hung around each of them, such quality and designs completely foreign to me. The man on the left had his strong upper build enveloped in a gold armor, a lion carved on each of his breast plate. Latched onto his side was a sword with a thick handle, the itself size surpassing my height. His bearded face had a slight scowl as his one good eye moved along the board in front of him. Clearly, the game was not going as he wanted. From his clothes and size, it was certain he was a high ranking Kshatriya war general. But the man who had faced bloodied battles and the loss of half his vision was frustrated by his opponent who was sitting smugly across him. Draped in gold necklaces and medallions, covered by a deep purple robe filled with intricate designs, a night blue sash tied around his torso and around his head was a boy. A boy that looked not much older than me. Maybe he's the general's son, I thought, squinting my eyes as the sun's glare reflected off his fine jewelry.

But the pieces that sprawled across the board interested me more than their clothes and relation. The outcome of the game was obvious, the boy had the general cornered and there was no way out. "Come on we can't wait all day, the eclipse is about to happen soon." the boy said teasingly, his voice laced with underlying confidence and strength. It involuntarily made my body stand rigid and upright before I caught myself. Who is he, I couldn't help but think. I thought I've seen every type of person here so it took quite a lot for someone to shock me. And this boy, this boy is definitely a lot. The general loomed over him in size and strength, but for some reason, it seemed that this boy was the one that held more power. Guess it must be what they're feeding him, I thought dryly, waiting for the general to stop struggling and just admit to defeat. It came quicker than I expected with the general rising and bowing, a sign that he had given up. The boys grin grew wider and his jade eyes sparkled as he moved his piece to its final position, ending it in his complete victory. His win was announced and the crowd around me whispered and murmured praises of the boy skills.