When I First Saw You

It was the first night since induction to the Training Corps. After receiving my dorm assignment, I took my measly bag full of my last possessions – A few clothes to wear outside of training in my new military uniform. Instructor Shadis had informed me that I was responsible for keeping it clean. Otherwise, I would be docked marks for looking unkempt.

I tossed my bag onto one of the empty bunks, and made my way to the mess hall, where I was told the meals would be served. The newly nicknamed "potato girl" was running off in the distance, and a couple of bystanders near the entrance of the hall were having a laugh over her earlier antics. I overheard the others begin talking about where they were from. One mentioned being from Shinganshina district; that's when I decided it would be best to head on into the mess hall, not wanting to hear the horrors of that day again. I had heard enough of the rumors that floated around the refuges that had resettled in my hometown of Jinae.

Looking around the hall, I wasn't quite sure where to sit. Most of the tables were filling up, and some people appeared to already know each other. I was handed a tray of stale bread, bean soup, and a steamed potato. Now it was time to find some friends. There was a fairly empty table in the middle, where two girls were already eating their meals. One appeared friendly, the other... not so much, but I decided to take my chances. I did not want to be alone the entire time I was here; it would be a lonesome three years otherwise. Even though, I did know a boy from my hometown was also here. But he and I were more like acquaintances -- maybe I would get a chance to know him better now that we're both going to be soldiers.

I steadily made my way towards the table, shot a cordial smile at the two before sitting down. The friendly looking girl, with dark hair and pigtails, quickly introduced herself, "Oh, hello! I'm Mina Carolina."

The other stared at me through pieces of light blonde hair that shielded her uncaring eyes, and then roughly stated, "Annie Leonhart."

She quickly returned her attention to her meal, without another word. I of course introduced myself in return, and Mina ensured that the two of us would become fast friends. I would find myself sharing a table with these two throughout the majority of our cadet years. 

A small ruckus had broken out, causing Mina to excuse herself to join a table where I noticed a group gathering nearby. Hushed gasps, and an onslaught of questions were being thrown at the boy with short brown hair and green eyes. It was the one who earlier said he was from Shiganshina district. I knew it could only mean that everyone was asking about the events of the darkest day in humanity. I guess I really could not escape those memories; not now that I was a cadet. Everyone was curious of the titans and their dangers. I had to admit, I was curious as well.

After a short silence where the boy seemed to make a light retching noise, he loudly proclaimed, "I'm going to join the Survey Corps, and rid the world of titans!"

A stillness overflowed the tables nearby when the words left his mouth, though most tables in the mess hall were still engrossed in conversation. Annie looked over, as this seemed to pique her interest. It was then, when another dared to speak up and began arguing with the green eyed boy. A short squabble broke out, but it was quickly resolved when the bell tolled, signalling time for the recruits to return to their dormitories.

Annie promptly got up and left the mess hall as the bell echoed.

I wondered how anyone would want to join the Scout regiment, as I cleaned up the dishes from my meal to return to the cafeteria. I could see how it benefited mankind, but it was also so very terrifying. I would likely meet certain death.

---

A few months had passed since I first arrived to the Training Corps. I had known a few of the other cadets now, but spent the majority of my time with Mina. Annie would join us for meals, but otherwise was a bit of a loner. She often ignored any of our invitations to join us in training, and was always trying to slack off. I wondered if she was particularly talented, as she hadn't shown much aptitude yet, asides from easily passing the 3DMG tests. On the other hand, I put my all into the training assignments and worked hard to be relevant. However, I'm definitely not uniquely skilled like some of the others were.