And I Dreamt of a New Life

I zipped around from tree to tree with my 3DMG. I was now able to stay upright without any issue; no more wobbling or problems with my balance. I was starting to really get the hang of it. Once again, Bertolt's kindness was able to help me with my training. He was always there to help me...

~~~

The hook shot out from my 3DMG, and hooked onto the nearest tree. I hesitated to use the gas to shoot my body up, as I knew I wasn't able to balance as well as the others yet. The concept didn't come so easily, and my abilities still seemed to be lacking. I was especially nervous as some of the others were watching me take my start. Luckily, many of the cadets who were much better than me had already sped off. Why couldn't they all go away! I sighed, and then pumped the gas and began to reel in the wire, propelling my body upwards. As I was nearing the tree, I quickly tried to figure out where I would place the next hook. My hesitancy caused me to shoot out too late making me come crashing down into the grass. My body rolled across the terrain, and the gear released from my hips as it was supposed to. I sat up, and rubbed my head shamefully, hoping no one had seen my pathetic tumble.

Bertolt raced over to me, and landed gracefully next to where I had dropped down, "are you okay?"

I felt like he was always asking me that...

I deeply sighed in frustration, knowing that someone had indeed witnessed my struggle, and of course, it had to be him.

"I'm fine... I think I just hurt my pride," I laughed dishearteningly. I wiped dirt from my face, feeling like an absolute fool. It felt like he was always watching me, "I just can't seem to keep propelling myself forward as quickly as you do."

He offered his hand to me, again I took it, and he easily pulled me up to my feet.

"I think you're panicking too much. You need to find the next target before you reel yourself all the way up. I know it's a bit difficult in the beginning, but it'll become instinct the more you do it." He collected my discarded gear and stood behind me to help reconnect it to my hips.

I loudly breathed out as I heard the clicking of the gear, "I'm not like you, Bertl. You always seem to just know how to do everything."

He ran his fingers through his hair at my words, and looked off towards the tall trees, with a scant blush daring to dart across his face, "hey now, you've definitely improved your balance. All you have to do is stop over-thinking it. Once you've connected, start using the gas to gain momentum, and then immediately shoot the next hook. After that, shift your weight in your hips to help maneuver which direction you want to move in."

He gently placed his hands on my hips, rocking my body weight to one side. His face came very close to mine during this instruction. I could feel his breath dancing on my ear as he spoke. I began blushing madly from the contact, "For example, if you want to bank left sharply, you would move your hips like this."

He must have noticed the red across my face and the wideness of my eyes, as he quickly retracted his hands and moved away. He must have not realized what he was doing was a little inappropriate.

"Ah, s-sorry..." the earlier pink blush dusted on his cheeks now became a scarlet red, "I-I didn't mean to get so c-close!"

~~~

Why was I remembering this right now? The memory made me smile softly, and a strange sensation began to gather in the pit of my stomach.

If he had not helped me back in those first years of training, how would I have managed today? However, I needed to stop drifting into my thoughts, and focus. We're right in the middle of our final exam!