Sponges & Socks ◐ Jian Yi

"Hmm."  Jian Yi softly mumbled in his sleep, his low snores merging with the tweeting of birds and the crisp noon breeze.

Under the shade of a tree, the two of you always hang out at the schoo's courtyard, letting the remaining time of recess pass by.

You let him rest his head on your shoulder so that he could sleep soundly, and you always wondered how he can catch his sleep so easily despite the place he's in, and you can't even do that.

Today's a special day, and he knows it too. He's just not saying anything to you yet. A bug languidly flew by, and it landed on his nose. As you shoo it away, he scrunched his nose, sneezed, and he slowly opened his eyes.

"Recess is almost over, Jian Yi." You said as you stood up, fixing the creased parts of your uniform, and he stretched before you held a hand to help him get up.

"To-Today's an important day, right?" He says, face glued to the floor as he walked.

"I-uh. Yeah."

After scratching his temples, you noticed that he stopped walking-- and with enlarged eyes, he shouted something that made you gasp.

"GAH! CRAAAAAP!"

With another deep inhalation, he exploded again, his energy incomparable to what he had seconds ago.

"Tell the teacher I'll go out for a while........no. Tell them I'm not feeling ok so I want to go home already."

"Is something wrong, Jian Yi?"

"None at all."

"Are you sick?"

"I'm perfectly fine!" He replied, smiling.

"......."

"Did the school clock chimed the hour already?"

"No, not yet."

"It's perfect!" Then, Jian Yi patted your shoulder before zooming away. "GO TO MY HOUSE AFTER SCHOOL!!!" He yelled without turning his back, as you saw his silhouette slowly fade away in the distance.

••••••••••

Maybe he's forgotten it. You thought to yourself before giving his door a knock. After a scanty while, he flung the door open, and he gave you a bear hug that lasted for a good ten seconds.

He always hugs you that way, enveloping you in an embrace that lasts for a while longer than how other people usually give hugs, but you just let it go. You love it, anyway. The way smell of his shirt tickled your nostrils, and how he will bury his head on the crook of your neck when the hug's almost over. Sometimes he'll also nibble on your neck.

"Happy Birthday!" He says after letting go of the warm embrace. He shook you repeatedly before letting you in. You sat at his bed, feeling the familiar comfiness of it.

"What you got me?" You asked childlishly, filling your thoughts with the things you were wishing for him to buy you, like a sponge cake and several pairs of iconic socks.

"It's a surprise, I know you'll love it." He replied.

Jian Yi went to the kitchen and you heard several clangs of kitchenware before he went inside.

"I-uh......" Jian Yi went inside the room, carrying an abomination in his hands. "This was the best I can do." You looked at it closely, and it looked to be a sponge cake in a saucer.

A LITERAL SPONGE CAKE.

That yellow colored, abrasive green backed thing that is used to clean grimy pots and dirty plates. He even placed several candles on top.

"Blow and make a wish!" He says, shoving it too close to your face you could almost kiss it. You gave him a face of parted lips, eyes squinting and met eyebrows. It was the look of disbelief.

extended

"Aw, come on, Don't cry!!!! It was a joke, I'm sorry!" Jian Yi was trying his best to console you, he was patting your back and stroking your hair.

"Jian Yi, you idiot! Can't you even choose a better day to do a prank instead of my birthday?!" You exclaimed,hitting his chest. You were already caged in his arms.

"Trust me, I really prepared something!" He took out a handkerchief from his pockets and he dabbed it at your eyes to dry the tears.

After a while you looked at him, and he was crouching in front of you and he seemed like he was looking for something under his bed. "Close your eyes first before I show my surprise."

You sniffed and did what you were told.

"Are they close yet?"

"Yeah."

"You can open it now."

A box of cake was placed in your lap. You looked at him and he nodded, and you preceded in opening it.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!
Love, Jian Yi

The words on the icing of the cake were written in graceful cursive style.

Giving him a look, a smile travelled down your face when he smiled, too. Lastly, he gave you a bouquet. Not the regular cliched bouquet of red roses-- it was a bouquet of socks in shape of a rose.

They were all iconic socks, and each of them had different colors and prints.

"I did the sock roses!" He cheerfully said, "but I just bought the sponge cake at a pattiserie."

"You're forgiven." You smiled, using an index finger to get a dollop of the icing, but before it could even enter your mouth Jian Yi took your hand and licked the icing away.

"I know you will." Placing a kiss on your forehead, he said one of the things you always loved to hear from him.

"I love you."

"Yeah. I do, too. I love you, Jian Yi." You said as you softly stroke his hair.