Burning evidence - the ground floor

And in there, I saw the most interesting decor that I could have ever imagined. In the middle of the room, there was a staircase that lead to a mezanine type thing on the next floor. This detail is one I saw as utterly strange. But it was a strange detail that I found really pleasant, as the College had the same type of thing, except there the staircase was hidden and not showing and in a double helix, like it did here.

Here, things were really strange, especially that it was dark and eerie. I kind of liked it, remembering a song from Enya, "The humming", for some reason. I think because I like to listen to "The humming" or sing it to myself when I am in the dark or afraid. The song ringed inside my head, giving me a hope beyond all reason, just like most of Enya's stuff. As I have said before, I even got to meet Enya once and I think she's a really reasonable person. This is one of the few things my father ever did for me. 

Anyhow, I was rather scared about the surroundings and rather intrigued by the song going on in my head. So I sang out loud the third verse of the song. Okay, maybe not that loud, but the words were rather clear in my powerful contralto voice:

And all the dust will drift away,
And all the nights and all the days...

Then, the unexpected happened as Reevus was quietly singing in perfect sync with me, singing the next two lines in a voice that harmonized perfectly with mine:

And all the Heavens go their way
And only change was here to stay

Then, he told to me in the calmest and most serene voice:

"You know, Matrix? My favorite song is this one for when I am alone. When I am with people, I like the song 'Mama' from Genesis the most. And I mean there is no better song than that one to help me relax when I am in a crowd. I like the kind of songs you get lost in, the kind you lose sleep in order to listen to, the kind of stuff that makes you forget your stress no matter what genre they are in. This is the kind of stuff I like. You?"

"Me too," I said. "I love a lot of songs from Metallica to this electro/indie band called Crystal Fighters to even some lesser known stuff like this French girl called Jain. You get me?"

"Yeah, but I never heard of Jain. The minimal knowledge of French I have helped me understand the words of a singer called Anouk Aiata, and that song of hers, 'Why are you looking at the moon?' as I translated its title, is simply mind-blowing!"

"I agree! I really love that song... It really helps me when I feel empty on the inside."

"Could you guys stop talking about music for a second here? I want you two to listen closely to me as I tell you what we're gonna do," miss Burns and her authoritarian voice interrupted us.

"We," she continued, "have to split up. You guys go to the right, I go to the left and up to the second floor a bit faster than you. If you can find anything here, it's good. Not that I hate music, but we have to get this case done! Well, you need to find that evidence as soon as possible. Got it?"

"Got it," Reeves and I jinxed.

"Heh!", I giggled. "Looks like we synced up again."

I looked at him in a way that I never thought I would - in a sort of friendly, quasi-affectionate way. It was the look I would have wanted upon me. That extra special look I wanted to receive from someone who loves me, that unique look was given by me. No! It couldn't have been... I was truly in love with him! But at least I could make advantage of this until the papers were approved. Now I had to keep a secret and it was a hell of a hard secret to keep. Lord! I started humming "I'm in love" from Clarence AKA "Frogman" Henry right away as I was looking around with my flashlight in the darkness. He noticed and said in a whisper:

"With whom, if I may ask?"

"Anyone except you, believe me! Um... Indeed, anyone except you."

I went red in the face. I hid it from him so that he might not have noticed my face. Really, if anything, this was the last thing I wanted him to see - that I was actually in love with him.