prologue

Louise Jones was walking down the road fairly briskly. She was going to meet her boyfriend at a cafe near her university and was already running late. Her ice blonde hair swept backwards in the wind and her dark blue eyes, that were almost the colour of lapis lazuli, sparkled from the sun. She had decided to wear her favourite dress from Topshop. It was a white tea dress with a floral pattern on the skirt and a crochet waist-band. She teamed her dress with a pair of powder pink ballet pumps and a rose hair clip to keep her fringe out of her face.

Louise was walking very fast for her and she knew she still had quite a long walk ahead of her until she even caught sight of the cafe at which Spencer was waiting. The sun beamed directly into her eyes, forcing her to pull a pair of Ray Ban sunglasses out of her bag. It was an extraordinarily nice day, especially for Leeds, and for some reason this made her very happy.

As she was walking across the park that stood in front of the cafe, she suddenly felt extremely cold. Damn, I wish I brought my denim jacket with me, she thought to herself. Just as she the air around her felt warm again, a cool wind swept past her, making the hairs on her neck stand up and then fall back down again. I'm just on edge a little, loads of people have disappeared recently so it is not my fault that I'm the tiniest bit scared, the voice in her mind was right, she was just on edge.

When she looked up she could see the cafe come into view. Just as she thought she was home free, a group of boys stood in her way, blocking her exit out of the park. The boys were laughing and all seven of them were staring directly at her. Mentally, she noted what each of them looked like so if they did attack her she could give a full report to the police. Then Louise noticed they had simply vanished from where they were standing in front of her. That was very strange, but oh well, some things in life don’t add up if you think rationally, and anyway they might just be drunk, ‘cause I heard people are much more focused and faster when they are drunk.

“Hey, Louise, are you alright ‘cause you look a bit, um, scared and freaked out. Soo, do you want a caramel latte with semi skimmed milk and whipped cream? You know, I heard that was your absolute favourite drink from the cafe you are standing outside.” He sounded slightly cocky, but she knew he was just teasing her. Without hesitation Spencer leaned forward to give Louise a quick kiss, before disappearing into the cafe to order the drinks.

When Spencer returned he handed Louise her drink and a low fat blueberry muffin. It wasn’t that Louise wanted to be overly healthy and taking lower fat options, it was just that she liked them more than other types. As she unwrapped the case around her muffin, Spencer took out the spoon from her glass and piled it high with whipped cream before letting it rest on Louise’s nose.

“Hey, Spencer that is soo not fair ‘cause you know my make-up will come off and how am I meant to drink my latte without using a spoon. Also it’s a waste of whipped cream, and you know how much I love whipped cream,” she said sounding slightly annoyed at first but then laughing with Spencer at the end.

“You know Louise, having whipped cream on your nose really suits you and it makes you look even more pretty than before,” he said jokingly, then seeing her eyes tear up slightly he added, “joking, Louise I'm only joking. You know that right” as he said that she nodded, by impulse he whipped away the tears from her eyes and watched as she smiled as best as she could.

When they finished their drinks and muffins, they walked through the park as Louise filled Spencer in on the week she had spent at university. He looked at her sincerely and lovingly until she glanced up at him. When her eyes caught his, he took her head in his hands and kissed her gently. When they stopped for air, she felt like she was Elena from The Vampire Diaries kissing Stefan.