Alternate Ending

The Dunphy's all walked up to Luke after he graduated. Haley, Alex and Claire all had tears in their eyes, but Phil showed no emotion. None at all. Inside, he wanted to cry. He needed to cry. He couldn't, though. He'd used up all his tears.

Phil placed him hands upon Luke's shoulders, "Good job, Buddy!"

"Thank, Dad," Luke smiled, looking up at his dad, "Thanks for not embarrassing me and crying like you did with Haley and Alex."

"It just shows my love for you, Little Man; I wouldn't want to embarrass you."

Haley, Alex and Claire all snapped their heads round simultaneously. "Phil!" Claire snapped, hitting Phil on the arm with the back of her hand.

Phil rubbed his arm, "Ow, Claire!"

"Let's get to Grandpa's house," Luke tried to change the topic, "I've just graduated, remember?"

"Yeah, it's almost as much as a miracle as it was when Haley graduated," Alex stated, laughing to herself. No one else laughed, they all had solemn faces, except Haley, who was trying to figure out whether Alex called her smarter that Luke, or dumber than him.

"Alex, be nice to your brother and sister!" Claire stated. She just received an eye roll from Alex before she climbed in the car.

Haley was about to climb in the car, too. However, she stopped when a yellow cab that was pulling up a few meters away from them caught her eye. Curiosity took over her body, and she paused to watch the yellow cab while the rest of the Dunphy's climbed in the car.

Moments later, Andy Bailey climbed out. He pulled out 2 large suitcase, then pushed the door closed and waved off the driver.

Haley's world froze around her. Her eyes glued to Andy. Everything in the world seemed to vanish. At this moment in time, the only thing that mattered in her life was Andy. The first person she properly fell in love with stood a small walk away from her.

"Haley, get in the car," Claire demanded, as she looked to Haley through the window from outside the car. Her hands were placed on the wheel, and she was ready to drive off.

Haley didn't respond, her eyes still glued to Andy.

"Haley!"

Still, she didn't respond.

Phil followed Haley's eye line. He saw Andy standing there, struggling to pull the handle up on one of his suitcase's, "Claire," he nudged her, then flicked his eyes over to Andy.

"Oh..." Claire muttered, after seeing what was causing Haley's distraction. She then put her arm out the window and tugged gently on Haley's arm. This finally caught Haley's attention. "Go over to him, Haley."

"No," Haley suddenly became really nervous, "I can't."

"Hurry, Haley!" Phil butted in, "He is going to figure out how to pull that handle up in a minute, then he'll be gone."

Haley looked back over to Andy, he was still struggling. She exhaled, "Okay."

She then slowly walked over to him, and with one simple word, she greeted him, "Andy?"

Andy's head shot up. He immediately recognised Haley's voice, "Haley," he acknowledged.

Haley looked down at her hands. They were fiddling around with each other. She was almost never this nervous. She tried to relive her awkwardness with a little laugh and by brushing the hair out of her face and behind her ear, "What are you doing back?"

Andy exhaled, "As much as I'd love to say that I realised I was still in love with you, so left my job and came back to see you, that's not the truth. The truth is that I got fired."