01 // wilderness

I look at myself in the mirror, and what reflects back startles me for a moment before I remember. . I will always look like this forever and ever. I've always questioned the pointed ears I had ever since I was born and I thought of the possibility of being a Fae or Fairie after I read a book series I absolutely adored with all my heart. Though I never thought I would actually be one in the first place. A Fae, nothing special other than the fact that I have immortality and have a stronger body than the usually human body. Realization then hit me harder than a bullet train as that sarcastic though crossed my mind. I would have to watch as my loved ones died until none of them were left. Just thinking about it sent a tear making it's way down my cheek.

I wonder, will I ever find peace or ever accept this new reality? I didn't think so. I kept on staring at the reflection of myself, but at the same time, it was not me. I wanted to tear those pointed ears off my head and replaced them with human ears, but I was a coward to pain. My hands clenched so hard that blood started to spill from them, and as soon as the pain reached my brain, I yelped in fear and pain with wide eyes. I hated this new me, cowering from everything but my books. I even was afraid of my own family now! I didn't want to know how they would react if they found out their child was this inhuman being. Would they hurt me? Kill me? Am I even their child?!

I started to ball my eyes out, and soon threatening sobs started to shake my body. How could the characters in the books deal with this? Being different from humans, and having to deal with so much of the suffering that came with living. I hated it. I just wanted this to be a sick dream that would teach me a lesson to never want to be anything other than a normal human. I heard a knock on the door. I quickly wiped my tears away, and faced said door. "Yes?" I asked, surprised by how raspy my voice has become, but I then realize that it's always been like this ever since learning my secret.

"Hurry up! I need to use the restroom, you idiot!" My sibling yelled before they then started to whine about how I've always hogged up the bathroom. I looked at the mirror for a split second, seeing the worry in my now reddened eyes, before quickly finding a bandanna in the cabinets and tying it over my eyes to hide the secrets that hid in said tired and saddened eyes. I opened the door, quickly to be pushed out of the way and also pushed out of the bathroom in general. The door slammed in my face, making me flinch away at how loud the noise was. I sighed and shook my head with a frown, quickly retreating towards my bedroom and locking it as soon as I entered and quietly closed the door.

The bandanna made it quite hard for me to see my surroundings. It also made my surroundings turn to the same color as my bandana. Realizing that I didn't need to wear it anymore, I took it off and placed it on my nightstand near my bed. I then turned to my bed, retrieving my cherished book from under my pillow. I opened the book for who knows how many time in my life, quickly turning to my favorite part to cheer my ever dropping mood. I started reading, smiling slightly as the word 'Rhysand' was wrote in the book. I loved this character dearly, his snarky remarks and playful jokes always making me smile and laugh. I then started to read to the next page and the next thing I knew, I was almost done with the chapter! I grinned as I shut the book and gently placed it back under my pillow, my spirits immediately lifted for a while now that I've read my book.

I quietly placed my bandanna back on to cover my eyes, before unlocking my door and quietly sneaking downstairs and towards the kitchen to grab some snacks before I went back to reading more. I grabbed my favorite snacks of all time, and a couple other foods that I found lying around, untouched, in the pantry. I licked my lips as my stomach started to growl just by looking at all these delicious foods in my grasp. I quietly crept back upstairs, making sure not to creek the wood with all my weight. I slipped back inside my room, making sure to shut and lock the door on my way towards my bed. I crawled on my bed, opening my snacks and eating them while reaching out for my book from under my pillow to continue reading it.