Surprise, Surprise!

17572, Avalon Ter, Hammond, LA, USA,
6:30 P.M.
The LeBlanc Residence

"Louise, go get your brother! Supper's ready!" a blonde woman shouted to her daughter from the kitchen doorway. The short blonde girl, who had only just walked through the door after a long day at college, sighed in annoyance.

"Okay, Mom," she answered reluctantly, knowing better than to argue. Too tired and annoyed to bother doing anything else—she hadn't even bothered to grab her art supplies and portfolio from the back of her car—Louise dropped her backpack on the floor, kicked off her shoes, and trudged down the hallway to fetch her younger brother. Why did she have to do this when she just spent the whole day doing actual work? Her younger brother Joseph had come home for spring break, and because his school had let out for the holidays earlier than hers, he had spent the whole day relaxing while her professors dumped some massive end-of-the-semester projects on her—lucky dog! She knocked softly on his door and waited until he started to open it to yell, "Joe-Joe, supper's ready!" Louise had quite a set of lungs on her. Needless to say, her brother glared at her as he checked to make sure his ears weren't bleeding.

"Do you have to yell like a toddler on a sugar high every time you need something?" he asked darkly, scowling at her. She smirked, quite pleased with herself, and was about to heckle him even more when she noticed something strange behind him.

"What's that?" Louise asked while pointing to a rather odd machine that was sitting in the middle of her brother's room. It didn't look anything like the other engineering projects he had built over the years.

"Oh, that?" Joseph smirked at her. "It's just my latest project. You wouldn't understand, even if I explained it to you." He brushed past her and headed towards to kitchen. "By the way, you touch it, and you're dead!" he called back at her. Well, after that last gibe Louise just had to mess with it now (sibling rivalry and all that). She stuck her tongue out at him even though he couldn't see it and approached the machine. It didn't look any more complex than anything else she had ever seen him make, but then again she was an art major, and he was a genius electrical engineer from the womb. She reached out to poke it, but before she could do anything, the machine suddenly came to life and she felt as though an electrical current was running through her finger to the rest of her body. There was a bright flash, and then pain.

John woke with a start as he realized he forgot he had to be at the clinic that day. He quickly jumped out of bed, threw on his clothes, and rushed out of his room. John noticed Sherlock was already in the kitchen performing one of his experiments as he called out his hurried goodbye, but before he could reach the door, something incredibly strange happened. There was a zapping sound like crackling electricity. Then a very faint, transparent figure appeared. As the figure rapidly became more solid and opaque, John realized it was a young girl. Once she was completely solid, her body hit the floor with a thud. The girl groaned and a loud "ow" was heard. John reacted to this in a perfectly normal fashion—he freaked out. The doctor was shocked into silence by the strange event unfolding before his eyes.

Sherlock had been admittedly surprised to see a girl materialize out of thin air in his flat, but he quickly collected himself and began deducing her. He watched as the girl picked  herself up off the floor into a sitting position and glanced around the room as though searching for something. The girl was blonde with green eyes, short, and appeared to be much younger than him. She was obviously confused and disoriented and taking inventory of her new environment. She didn't look particularly surprised when she saw the clutter about their flat, so she must be used to it. When she saw the skull, however, she was more than a little surprised, but she also looked a little amused. After sweeping her eyes over the mantle they stopped on himself and John. The girl's eyes widened when she finally realized that she was not on her own. She glanced nervously between the two men—the two strange men—that she was suddenly alone with in an unfamiliar room. Her eyes darted to the door just as Sherlock spoke. "John, shouldn't you be off to the clinic now?"