Chapter 8

The next morning, I don’t bother going in for breakfast. I would just save my hunger for lunch later. Besides, I knew what to do during my private session with the Gamemakers later. I didn’t need Finnick to tell me that.

I just don’t want to see him at all. If I could, I would just avoid him the rest of my time here in the Capitol. If he’s lucky, I might just die in the arena and he wouldn’t have to worry about seeing me again, and I wouldn’t have the same problem.

I can’t look at him without feeling sickened by what I saw last night. I pitied him when I saw him in his sleep. I could hear his hurt as he murmured for his parents. It was apparent to me. Their deaths were no accident.

And then, this other person had to appear and kiss me, like he could have his way with me because he could.

I’m the first at the training rooms. I’m not surprised, considering it’s 7AM. I can practice alone though, without worry. I need to keep my mind off things.

I take one of the tridents. It’s longer than the ones at home, and made to look flashy. There are trainers at their stations already, but they pay me no mind. They’re still trying to wake up themselves.

The trident feels supple under my fingers, and for the first time, I feel like I have control over something. This is the same for everyone in District 4. It is the same feeling as swimming. It feels weightless, effortless. I step into the space with the dummies and targets and close my eyes and take one deep breath.

I open my eyes and it just takes over. I feel like the targets are merely fish that I need to capture. My body moves by itself and my mind doesn’t even need to think. I slice and stab as I twist and turn, moving with light feet and agile limbs. It almost feels like a dance, with the trident as my partner.

The beat only stops when I finally hit the last target.

I turn around and see the trainers staring at me with their mouths agape. One of them whistles.

“Whoever thought you had that fight in you, eh?” someone says. I look around for the voice and see that it is one of the Gamemakers. That is surprising, since it is the third day and it’s very early. “And we all thought that you were just a lovely face. I must say, I was starting to doubt District 4, but they sure know how to do it there.”

I don’t answer. Do what? Train children to learn how to kill? If that’s the case, I don’t think that’s something to be proud of.

I look around and see actual admiration from the trainers. Are they insane? Do they think that it is a gift to know how to wield a weapon so naturally? The trident should only be used for livelihood. Only these people could make its use for something absolutely evil.

I go to the knotting station and take the ropes. I sit in one corner and distract myself. Finnick was onto something though. I can feel my mind focusing on only the knots. The net is only starting, so I must proceed with extra precision. I keep going, knotting. Nice and tight. That’s the way it must be. There is no room for errors in this. Keep going.