삼 - Intro to Hangul 3

In this chapter I'll be explaining the different sounds and what batchim 받침 is and how to read it.

So to start, some of the consonants make different sounds! No no no wait ✋🏻 it's not that hard... its not like a completely different letter of anything... for example:

ㄱ you know what that letter is right? Yep... its G, as in 'good.' But heres the change. If its at the start of a word like.... gajima (가지마) which means "don't go" it makes the K sounds instead of G. But theres more ;-;

I feel like I'm about to throw so much information on you guys but bear with me!

ㅂ (b) sounds like P at the beginning like in 바람 (Param) "wind"

ㅈ (j) sounds like Ch at the beginning like in 진짜 (Jinjja) "really"

ㄷ (d) sounds like T but I haven't really seen that too much...

ㄴ (n) sounds like D at the beginning like in 네 (Ne) "yes"

***

Now there is some that change when they are put next to a vowel. Like ㅅ (s) and ㅌ (t) These both change when put with ㅣ (i)

When ㅅ is put next to ㅣ instead of being "see/si" it would sound like "shi" (시)

When ㅌ is put before ㅣ instead of being "ti" it would change to "chi" like in 같이 (gati - GACHI) and if you remember, that G in "gachi" sounds like a K so "Kachi"

Now don't panic because the ㅌ is at the bottom and theres a ㅇ there. I shall explain them now.

Starting with the bottom letters, or "batchim" (받침) you read the top two letters FIRST and then the bottom one (left to right.) So the first syllable bat (받) you read ㅂ (b) then ㅏ (a) to make (바) then the ㄷ (t) so 받.
(I guess I lied above... about D sounding like T cuz I found an example ㅋㅋ)
Then you read the next syllable 침 you read ㅊ (ch) then ㅣ (i) to make (치) then ㅁ (m) so 침.

Then there is also reading downwards like 꿈 or 두. You pretty much just read from top to bottom. 꿈 = ㄲ ㅜ ㅁ (gg oo m) "ggoom" or "dream." 두 = ㄷ ㅜ (d oo) "doo" or "two."

As you may have noticed in the last chapter, for ㅇ I wrote "silent/ng"

If you place ㅇ before a vowel, it becomes silent! Each syllable (or block) needs to have at least 1 consonant and 1 vowel. So if you want to start a word with a vowel, you will need something before it like ㅇ as in 이 (ee) "teeth"

Now if ㅇ is at the end (bottom) of a word, it sounds like ng (as in song) like 방 (bang)

Can you read 양? Yes, it would be (yang) meaning "sheep"

170520