CHAPTER TWENTY-NINE: PASS THE PARCEL

Spencer Willow

The next morning, we spend the first few hours dropping Charlie's stuff off at her new house, before we drive Connor to the airport. We're all silent, no one wants to talk.

When we reach the airport, we sit in the car for a few minutes, silently. Eventually, Connor breaks the silence.

"So, this is it," Connor says, and I place a smile on my face.

"For now, you'll be home soon in a few months," I reply, my hands gripping the steering wheel tightly.

"Of course," Connor smiles, before we all get out the car. Connor gets his bag out the back of the car, before we all walk into the airport. Charlie and I walk in as far as we can, before we have to say our goodbyes. I give Charlie and Connor some time to say their goodbyes, knowing that they won't particularly want me there. I buy a drink, before I return to where Charlie is crying, and Connor is trying to stop her from crying, even though he's close to crying himself.

"I'll be back soon," Connor whispers, kissing her forehead. Charlie nods, smiling softly, wiping her eyes. Connor walks over to me and immediately hugs me, and I let the tears roll down my cheeks.

"You're going to be fine," Connor whispers, and I roll my eyes, smiling slightly.

"I'm not worried about me," I reply, and Connor chuckles.

"I've got to go," Connor says, stepping back and picking up his bag.

"Goodbye," Connor says, before he has to turn around and walk away. I put my arm around Charlie, letting her cry into my side.

"It's okay," I whisper to Charlie, who just smiles softly.

"I know," Charlie whispers back, before we leave the airport. We walk back to my car, and I start to drive Charlie back to her new house.

"Are you sure you'll be okay by yourself?" I ask, quietly.

"Yes, I'm sure," Charlie replies, and I nod, pulling up outside the house.

"Okay, I'll see you soon," I smile, before Charlie gets out the car and walks inside. I exhale slowly, before driving back to the hotel. It feels like only yesterday he came back, and now he's gone, again. I bite my lip, not wanting to cry again.

I park my car at the hotel and head upstairs to Connor's room, and I'm surprised when I see Zach leaning against the door, waiting.

"Zach?" I ask, and Zach looks up and walks over, immediately hugging me.

"Are you okay?" Zach asks, and I fall into his arms.

"Y-yeah," I reply, and Zach smiles softly, resting his chin on my head. A few seconds later, I step back, laughing at myself for crying.

"Sorry, um, come in," I mumble, leading him into the hotel room. Zach closes the door behind him and sits down on the bed next to me, putting his arm over my shoulders.

"Do you want to talk about it?" Zach asks me, but I shake my head.

"Can we just watch something?" I ask, and Zach nods, turning on the TV and finding a film. I cheer up a bit near the end of the film, as that's when my brain kicks in telling me that I'll see him again soon and he'll be fine, so I seem happier once the film finishes.