Two- The visit

I hear the doorbell ring. My dad and Matt are here. It has been so long since I have seen them, although nothing much in my life has changed. I straighten out my denim jacket and brush off my pants as I scurry downstairs and see only my father at the door. "Princess!" My father laughs and I jump into his arms, holding him as tight as I can. "Colleen," Dad says as he releases me and gazes back at Mom. Mom bitterly turns away and replies with a soft but harsh "Sam.". A few awkward glances later when the tension is suddenly broken by Matt barging in saying "Parked it". The room is tinted with sour mood and silence but Matt still didn't get the memo as he remains with a smile from ear to ear. "Hey, Mom! Did you see me park the car? Dad taught me how to drive!" Matt says in a sickeningly cheerful tone as my mother mumbles "Oh so that's why it took you so long to park." Under her breath but loud enough to make my dad snap back with a "Colleen!". My mother sighs, brushes off her floral painted dress while giving my father a gaze that we all remember too well, and twirls off to the kitchen. The last time she made that gaze, they told us that they were filing a divorce. I feel my stomach drop down to my shoes. Suddenly the air felt much drier. My dad took a deep breath and sat down on the couch and motioned me to follow. I sat down with him and I saw the look in his eye. I almost knew what he was going to say next. "Katie," he whispered while putting his grizzly hand on my shoulder, "You know Gunter had been sick for a while, and these things happen." I felt myself choking down tears like a few twigs trying to hold back a waterfall. "Last night, Gunter passed. He did not suffer for long, Katie. H-" I suddenly feel to weak to hold back my tears anymore and let the droplets race down my face. "Katie, no." My dad said apologetically and pulls me in for a embrace. I catch a glance at Matt who has his head faced down to his feet but I know he is watching me, I can feel his sorrowful gaze. "Shhh, it's going to be okay, honey." Dad says while slightly rocking me back and forth. Soon enough, I start sobbing and bawling like a child. My arms feel limp but somehow I am still able to grab onto my Dad's shirt. My face feels hot and red, then it goes completely numb. It's almost like I have cried all my tears away but somehow I keep crying. My dad keeps on talking to me but I can't hear a word he is saying. My vision is blurry and my nose in running. I roll up my denim jacket slightly above my hands and wipe my tears. Everything in between that moment and the next day is a blur.