Chapter 23

Chapter 23

The hand that came down across Casey's mouth trapped the scream in her throat. Trouble growled softly, but the sound of her attacker's voice brought tears to Casey's eyes. "We meet again, mi amada." Miguel's face appeared out of the shadows and he smiled demonically.

Casey reached up slowly to push Miguel's hand away. "Miguel!" She tried to glance over at Carter but Miguel held her chin tightly in his fingers, forcing her to look at him. "What are you doing here?" she whispered in a frightened voice.

"I have come to claim what is rightfully mine, Casey," he hissed. "Now ....." He threw back the covers and her hands instinctively crossed. Even though she wore a nightgown, it was thin nylon and she couldn't bear the thought of him seeing her. "......put on a robe and come with me."

She exhaled as though he had punched her in the stomach. "Come with you? Now?" She reached for the covers but he yanked them out of her hands. "I can't come with you......Carter......he's hurt and......"

"DO NOT SPEAK HIS NAME IN MY PRESENCE!!" Miguel's venom frightened Casey and she froze, her hands trembling on the covers.

"But.....but he's bleeding......he needs help......" She tried to look at Carter again but Miguel seized her shoulders in his hands.

Miguel leaned closer to sneer in Casey's face. "The only help I will give him, mi amada, is to send him more speedily on his way to h*ll!" She gasped aloud but he grabbed her arm and jerked her to a sitting position. "Now put on a robe so we can be on our way!"

Sensing his mistress's stormy emotions, Trouble chose that moment to make his presence known. He remained in his basket on Casey's side of the bed but rose to a low crouch. Tail wagging madly in the air, he growled and then yipped once softly at the tall, dark stranger who seemed to be the source of Casey's agitation.

Miguel stared down at the cockapoo kamikaze. "What's that?" Trouble gave his best impression of another fierce growl and Miguel looked back at Casey in surprise. "Is he trying to frighten me?" He snorted in disbelief. "The worst he could do is pee on my foot and ruin my shoes."

Trouble barked again, this time a little louder, and Jon whimpered softly in his crib. Miguel grabbed Casey's arm and suddenly she felt something sharp against her throat. "Tell the dog to be quiet or I'll use this!"

When Casey saw the moonlight gleaming off the wide blade of the knife Miguel held to her throat, her blood ran cold. Thoughts of what that knife could do to her infant son – what it already may have done to Carter – made tears sting Casey's eyes. "All right! All right!" Casey put her hands out in supplication as the tears ran down her cheeks. "I'll get the dog to stop barking – just don't hurt anybody!"

Grabbing a chenille robe that was on a chair next to the bed, Casey leaned forward and spoke to Trouble in hushed tones. She petted him gently and tried her best to get the dog to lie back down, but he had already sensed that the tall stranger was causing a problem. {PLEASE, God – please help all of us get out of this alive! After we've come so far, You can't let it all end now.....}

Somehow – somewhere – Casey's plea for help was heard. Trouble settled back down into his dog bed, but he still eyed Miguel warily. "Bueno – let's go!" Miguel grabbed Casey's arm again and yanked her to her feet, flashing the wide blade of the knife in the moonlight that came streaming through the window. "Don't make me use this, querida."

"Please, Miguel," Casey begged as she slipped into her robe. Her fingers were shaking so badly she could barely tie the sash. "Please don't hurt them......"

Miguel pulled her against his body with the knife pointed at her throat. "You should know that violence isn't my style, Casey," he hissed. She whimpered as he pressed the flat edge of the knife against her skin. "But I would do just about *anything* to prevent you from being with .....him." He spat the word and glared in Carter's direction again.