chapter one

Victor Goldstein wasn't Victor Goldstein any more. It was dangerous, but of course, changing himself was better than Auschwitz, where he would have been otherwise. And he had Alina, too. She was great. She had helped him survive, but he still wasn't over Greta. He didn't know what had happened to her. Was she famous now? Was she even alive? The news wouldn't report such matters, not in Poland anyway, and he hadn't been near a newspaper in so long.
Greta DelTorres, who had tried to help his escape, but to no avail. Her 'boyfriend', who she had to sleep with to get Victor, her real 'Beau', papers to go to New York. However, Dorn had seen them together and grew jealous, even though he had a wife and a child himself. Instead of escaping persecution and going to New York, he was sent to die.
But he escaped.
On the train to his death, he was unsettled, he wouldn't just sit around and wait for his murder! Victor had pulled his knife out of his picket and repeatedly stabbed the floor of the cramped train, full of Jews. Then, Alina approached. She looked like a boy, but a very pretty one.
They had left together, and they went through a lot together. She had even had to tell some tall Russian speaking man that they were 'fucking.' At the time Victor only understood a few words they were saying, and was anxious. What were they saying about him?
Victor lost his train of thought as he heard noises from downstairs. He and Alina had found an empty and now were living there, trying to earn money to live day by day.

This wasn't Victor Goldstein. This was someone different.