Chapter 21: Memories and Losses

Warning: This is going to be a long-ass chapter. Sorry, guys. But we've got to get this battle over with. Enjoy the story!

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Nue's POV

"You idiot! How could you let yourself get captured like that?!" Eun yelled at me. "Put a sock in it, will ya? I'm tired. I've been fighting for what feels like hours and I didn't get any sleep." I said. "Tch," She frowned while crossing her arms over her chest.

"Anyway, since you're tired, you probably want to rest right now, right? How about you let me take over for a while?" Eun suggested. "Not gonna happen," I made a single hand sign and trapped Eun inside a cage.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?! Let me outta here, you bitch!" Eun shouted, angrily. "There's no way I'm letting you in the battlefield. You could hurt Kakuzu and everything around you. I can't have you doing that. In the meantime, I'll keep you in here until I need you." I informed.

"You don't trust me? After everything we've been through? I'm hurt, Nue." Eun said as she grasped the bars of the cage. "It's for your own good. I'll get out of here on my own. For now, I'm going to rest up a bit." I explained.

"And leave your comrade to die?" She asked. "Of course not. Kakuzu's a strong ninja. I'm sure he can handle this on his own." I said. "That sounds a little selfish of you, don't you think?" Eun mentioned.

"I guess so. But if I'm this exhausted, I won't be able to assist Kakuzu in a weak state. I need to rest up so I can have enough energy defeat them." I explained. I lied myself on the ground and closed my eyes falling asleep.

Ino's POV

"Nue's asleep right now. But I'm not sure if I'll be able to hold once she wakes up." I informed Kakashi from inside Nue's body. "So you took over Nue's body, hmm? Can't say I'm surprised. Nue has went three whole days without any sleep, so she's bound to be exhausted. Well, I suppose I should just finish this." Kakuzu said.

The Fire Style Mask and the Wind Style Mask were two separate bodies until they merged, becoming one body. I gasped as I felt Nue stir in her sleep. I collapsed to my knees while my head was lowered. "Ino! Ino, are you all right?!" Choji called.

I didn't answer as I was inside Nue's head. "This has never happened before. Is Nue... showing me her memories?" I murmured. I floated around while looking at images. Some showed Nue as a child while some had images of Nue when she was in the Leaf Village.

"Again!"

"Hai!"

I saw an image of Nue as a child as she was training with a woman named Yugito Nii. Nue charged at her, attempting to strike, but Yugito blocked the attack and punched Nue in the face, making her fall on her back, her eyes closed.

"Get up!" Yugito ordered. Nue opened her eyes with a frown as she shakily tried to get back on her feet. Yugito sighed and walked over to her. "Maybe we should take a break." She suggested. "No! I can keep going! I won't give up!" Nue said, stubbornly before getting to her feet.

"Your father was right; You are a persistent, little one." Yugito said, chuckling. Nue frowned at her. "Come on! Let's keep going!" She said, impatiently. I floated forward, searching through more of Nue's memories.

I found one that showed Nue as a child, training with a man named Han. Nue panted from the hard training they did. "Tired?" Han asked with his arms crossed over his chest. "No...! I can keep going!" Nue said in a persistent tone as she lifted her head.

Han looked at her before sitting down on the ground, cross-legged. "Nue, why did you decide to come here?" He asked her. "To get stronger." She answered as she stood up straight. "What's the second reason? What's the purpose of getting strong?" He rephrased.