A family man

“Miss Rebecca?”I hear a voice call inside my room, I had just finished getting dressed in the bathroom when I stepped out and saw Vincent standing before me. He smiles at me and bows. “Milady”

I just stand there while Vincent observes my room. He nods at it then looks over at me. “How have you found your stay here with us so far?” He ask, I shrug. “You cannot answer every question with a shrug, Rebecca,” he scolds. “You must have the capability to answer questions with your words, not just your actions” he walks over to me and tilts my chin up with his hand so that I'm staring right at him. He leans in and I stiffen, but just before our lips even touch, he pulls away and releases me. He walks over to the door then looks back at me with a smirk. “Are you coming?”

Vincent drove me to a place with large buildings and many other cars. The city, he called it. People crossed the streets and cars honked, there were people dressed nicely and people dressed poorly and others that just didn't seem to care. I found myself admiring all of them with their own style, the car stopped next to park full of children who were running around on a field with these sticks that let out bubbles. I followed Vincent unto the field and a woman came up to us then handed me one of the sticks. I stared at it confused then looked up at Vincent with the same expression, he smiled and pointed to the children. As they ran the stick released bubbles into the air, I bit my lip before trying it. A grin took over as bubbles flew into the air from the stick. I glanced over my shoulder at Vincent who was smiling at me, I look down at the stick then ran over to Vincent. I held the stick up to him, his brow furrowed, I grabbed his hand and placed the stick in it before backing up, taking him with me. He looked surprised by my action, but allowed me to lead him. He started with a slow jog, letting few bubbles out then got comfortable and ran alongside me. It was so fun that I almost forgot who he was and what he did. He is the most responsible brother, I guess.

“Rebecca, follow me” he said dropping the stick and grabbing my hand and leading me back to the car. We drove to an area full of trees and a dirt road, my eyes widened when I saw something tall and made of wood, I remember seeing a picture of one before, it was called a gazebo. Vincent stopped the car and led me onto the gazebo, he held me close and inhaled the air around us, he smiled down at me. “Rebecca, will you do me the honor of letting me be your dance partner?”

Dance partner? What's a dance partner? He wraps an arm around my waist and holds my hand up with the other, he moves in circles with me and my face feels warm each time I accidentally end up stepping on his feet or making the wrong move, but he doesn't seem to mind as he twirls me around in the silence of nature. I smile slightly at the feeling of the wind in my hair with each twirl, I let him lead me before he stops to catch his breath. He smiles down at me, and leans in. I get ready for the feeling of his lips on mine like the rest of his brothers had done, but it never comes. He moves away then suddenly my feet leave the ground and I gasp while clinging onto him. He was holding me up in his arms and carrying me back to the car. He sets me down in the passenger seat and closes the door, I buckle my seatbelt as he's getting in the driver's seat. He glances over at me and starts the car.

“Let's go home, we can have a family night with everyone else” he says in a cheery tune and smiles. I stare at him curiously as we drive back, he didn't kiss me, I'm glad, but he's also the only one who wanted us to spend time with everyone else instead of just us. He must care about his brothers a lot.

***

“Horror...Comedy...Action…” Dylan trails off as he reads the genres they have. When we got back, I was surprised to see Dylan sitting in the living room reading a sports magazine. He had glanced at me, but made no other attempt to acknowledge me at all. I wonder what happened in the basement.

Dylan looked up from the stack of movies at his brothers, all seem deep in thought. When his eyes find mine, he clenches his jaw and looks away.

“Lets vote,” suggests Christian happily “I vote comedy”

“You always vote comedy,” Sean points out with an eye roll as he leans on his hand. “I vote action”

“I vote Horror” Aziel says, Christian crosses his arms and bites his lip in annoyance.

“I don't care,” Sebastian puts in, not even looking up from his novel. “But if I must choose, I'd say comedy” Christian smiles at him and wraps his arms around his brother.

“Thank you, Sebastian, you're my new favorite!” he cheers and Sebastian rolls his eyes.

“I'd like to change my vote,” Sebastian states, earning chuckles from his brothers and a scowl from Christian. “I vote horror”

“Why don't we ask Rebecca what she'd like to watch?” Suggests Vincent. Everyone turns to look at me, I look up and bite my bottom lip, then I shrug. Sean rolls his eyes and lets out an irritated sigh.

“She can't even pick a stupid movi-” Sean gets cut off before he can finish his sentence.

“She did pick,” Aziel pipes in, everyone stares at him with confused expressions. Aziel rolls his eyes and stands up from the couch, he takes a movie out of Dylan's hands and holds up for everyone to see. “She picked horror” he gives me a questioning look, to affirm that's what I picked, I nod and he opens the dvd box and places the disk inside the dvd player before sitting down next to me. Everyone glances at each other than at us, Vincent smiles next to me.

“I'll get the lights” Dylan says and hurries to turn them off while the previews play. He takes a seat next to Aziel and stares straight ahead at the screen as the movie starts to play. The nightmare on elm street.

The movie is about a man who hurt children and haunts them in their dreams, kinda like that man does in my dreams. I stare at the screen and don't even cringe or look away at any moment, not until the moment I felt a pair of eyes on me. I felt them again when we decide to watch another movie called, Carrie.

I didn't feel the stare waver and finally decided to see who it was staring at me. Dylan didn't even flinch when I looked back, but his eyes did darken when Aziel took hold of my hand, causing my gaze to turn to him. He wasn't looking at me, but I knew he had been. When I looked back at Dylan, he wasn't looking at me anymore, but back at the screen with a clenched jaw. I shook my head and looked up at Vincent, he was watching the movie with a serious expression. Vincent made me a curious person, he bought me, but didn't seem to want to force himself onto me at all. He seemed to care more about his brothers than himself, he seems...nice.

He catches me staring and smiles down at me, I smile back and focus back on the movie. How interesting.

***
“Please, Rebecca, I love you!” I don't know how it went from all of us watching movies together in the living room to Dylan sneaking into my bedroom to confess his love to me. I just stared at him, he stalked over to me and grabbed me by my shoulders. He pressed his lips against mine and tried to deepen the kiss, but I jerked my head away. He tried again, I shook my head and pushed at his shoulders. “Please, Rebecca, don't do this to me!”

I was shocked to see tears in his eyes, threatening to spill out at any moment. I didn’t do anything, I just stood there. He closed his eyes and released my shoulders then turned around and left the room, slamming the door shut behind him.

What's happening?