Chapter Ten-Leaving

"Bye, Avery!" Another family gone, going back to Munford, Alabama, their home. 

Britnay, Carlee and Steven each hugged me with no space between our bodies. They were big on hugs while I was okay with just a subtle wave goodbye. 

"Bye guys, have a safe trip." I smiled, putting the last bag in the trunk of their car. By the time they left, they had more things they left with than what they came with. 

Carlee said she was sad to leave but the country is where she belonged. It wasn't sad that they were leaving, it was normal. 

Everyone at the hotel leaves, even some of the staff. Better opportunities come to everyone. Which is okay, but I wish at least one person wouldn't leave. Fiona and Carmella left after a month or so.

It's just not comfortable nor is it normal to stay at a hotel for so long. There has only been three people who've stayed for maybe four months and it was for work. Meaning they were older and not really a pleasure to be around.

Britnay, Carlee and Steven piled into the car and waved goodbye before exiting the parking garage. They weren't really anything worth remembering so I didn't. Their description can be a short list of hair color and their style. 

I couldn't tell you what we did together that made me remember their names or what they looked like. What I could tell you; they never contacted me after that. 

Rarely anyone contacted me. It wasn't because I was rude to them or anything, but we really only interacted for an hour. They would think I was nice and give me their numbers and I could never bring myself to attach myself to someone. 

It just doesn't happen to me. I don't want it to happen. 

Attachment has these unspoken rules that you have to follow. 

Speak to them daily, remind them they're great, even have a funny conversation. But what they don't understand is that not every day will be story book worthy and there won't always be laughs and easy conversations.

Dumb, boring-even lifeless-days occur like rain on a shiny day. 

I was the rain and someone better was the rainbow that everyone loves.

That's how people work. They leave during bad times but the minute you show any indication of stability, they're leaping back into your arms like they never left. Selfishness was a way of living in this world. 

Walking back inside, my mom and dad were sharing a carton of ice cream while watching one of her favorite soap operas. She was leaning on one arm of the lobby's couch and her legs stretched over his legs. 

As if on command, I rolled my eyes at their interaction. 

I never understood her. She loved me yet she's with a bastard that loathed me. 

"I'm making brownies." I told her, opening the door to the dining hall and into the kitchen. Angela and Andrew were in the kitchen, making something in the microwave. Both of them eyed me down while I was in search for the brownie mix.

"What are you looking for?" Angela asked with an accusing tone. 

"Brownie mix." I answered, staring at the cabinet with my hands clenching the handles. My knuckles were nearly white, my face red just by standing in their presence. Maybe it angered me more than it should've, but the looks on their faces as if everything was fine was displeasing. 

"Anyway," Angela kept talking as if I weren't even there. "They let the fat girl, Jesse, on the team instead of Mazy who is clearly better. I mean, please, Jesse can barely run a quarter of a mile."