rosemary

(remembrance) 

The sky was a dull gray behind her as Rosa stepped into the dark house

The sky was a dull gray behind her as Rosa stepped into the dark house. It seemed less ominous now that she knew what lurked within, but the lonely, skeletal feel of it still sent shivers up her spine. 

"Hello?" Rosa called out, searching for signs Rachel's presence that made the cold house feel brighter. The barren rooms were oddly quiet and grew darker with the setting sun, but Rosa felt herself walking farther down the hall that led to the kitchen, taking her time to poke around as she went.

She opened every door she came across after she investigated the living room. Every door handle was well worn- if not rusted- and the walls had the kind of patterned wall paper one might optimistically call vintage. After she had discovered a second storage closet, a face popped out from behind the closing door, causing Rosa to jump back.

"Rachel," she said after her hunched shoulders relaxed a bit, "I didn't even hear you coming!"

Rachel's downcast eyes were sheepish. "Sorry, but I don't really have a lot of weight to throw around."

Flicking her eyes down, Rosa stared at Rachel's barely suspended feet. "Oh." It was as if she had already forgotten that Rachel was dead. A bit sad, considering it was one of the few things she really knew about the girl.

Rachel led her into the kitchen yet again. "Tea?"

Rosa shrugged. She wasn't really much of a tea person, preferring coffee for its higher caffeine content. She felt awake enough at the moment, thankfully.

Rachel hummed. "Well, I'm making it."

She paused. "Can ghosts... you know... actually consume things?" Rosa would think it would pass right through, considering Rachel was less than solid. She didn't really need food for carrying out life processes, either.

Rachel frowned. "No, but I can feel the warmth. Tea has always been a comfort thing for me, and it works out, me being cold and all." Rosa remembered the care Rachel took while preparing it, and the way she hand picked a mix of herbs for her tea. She clearly spent a lot of time with it, and although the taste was strong, it was clearly a perfected recipe.

"How can you hold it?" Rosa gestured to the mug.

"Lots of focus."

Rachel must have been great at meditating, Rosa mused. Or she just had a lot of time to practice.

Thinking of Rachel's other source of comfort, Rosa pressed. "No kitty tonight?"

The ghost swayed over to the window, a fond smile softening her features. "He only comes late at night. Doesn't like being noticed while sneaking out." Rachel flicked her gaze back to Rosa. "Thank you for coming back."

Rosa froze. "No problem." The words had slipped from her mouth while her heart dropped from the weight of sympathy. "I fell on your lawn, drank your tea... I could at least keep you company."