greece polaroids

i used to want a polaroid camera when i was a bit younger. the project died as soon as i clicked on the stores' links to the item i would've cherished and carried around wherever i could. money is always the problem, somehow, some way, a fallen tree on the path to comfort. a dollar a picture.

years later, my friend had one. together we lived through so many amazing opportunities that would have never found their way into my life, had one single email been different. she took her camera everywhere. froze in time delightful people's smiles in a unique light each occasion. we looked silly, we looked free, we felt unburdened by this life who keeps throwing rocks at our feet. 

these pictures come in single copies. there is only one copy of that day i dressed up in go-go boots, one copy where we look like gremlins in poncho, one copy where it's just friends enjoying an evening that has been made extraordinary. there are plenty more, but they all come alone.

one dollar for a lifelong memory frozen in place, an aura of joy, a material emotion. 

another friend now. she went to greece. she took two polaroid pictures. she put them in an envelope and mailed them to me. this moment in time she had lived, breathed, captured her soul through the lenses, she preferred to give them to a girl she hadn't seen in three years just to make her smile.

money is selfish. happiness is selfless.

they hang out over my desk now. my soul has seen greece too. thank you.