Chapter 16

We walked on the city streets. It was normal. The shopping, the drunks, the kids. Completely normal. I thought maybe taking out Mikasa to a settle place and at least have lunch. We didn't do anything fancy or made anything a big deal. I took her into this bar for a small snack.

Me: "get what you want it's all on me."

She refused to get anything. I sighed.

Me: "can I get two waters."

Bartender: "two waters coming up."

The guy served and gave me the water. I gave the other glass to Mikasa.

Me: "to stay hydrated."

I drank it without saying anything else. Mikasa at some point didn't talk to me for some unknowing reason. We finished up and I payed and tipped. We left the bar and walked along the streets again. Maybe if I take her somewhere nice where we can talk. You know with people not around. I thought of a place we can go. Where? I remembered the river with surrounded owls.

I took Mikasa's hand. She looked at me confused. I decided not to tell her until we get there. She didn't seem to be that bothered by the hand holding though. She just walked along with me.

The river was far so I also wanted to know If she'll be fine with it.

Me: "I'm gonna be taking you somewhere, so I just need you to know if you're fine with that."

She nodded.

We went deep into the forest and towards the river.

Just silence filled between us..

The weather started to chill and as close the river, more colder. Mikasa's hand shivered. What should I do?

She got closer to me for warmth. I wasn't to bothered by it, but does she want me to do something to warm her up?

I didn't know what to do.

I put my arm around her. Would that even make her feel warmer?

Me: "warm enough?"

She nodded again as an answer. We kept walking along, or as in following my steps, we were able to get there.

I let go of Mikasa and went over to the river. She stood there learning every feature she could from the view.

Me: "there's owls too. Just look carefully up on the branches."

She looked for some owls and was able to make one out. She stared at it as it hooed.

Mikasa then walked over and sat next to me.

I put my arms on my around my legs.

Me: "you know you've been quiet lately. You're the one who thought of this and decide to give me the silent treatment at the same time you know."

As I stared at the river, the last quarter moon was shining upon the water. I looked over to Mikasa.

Me: "maybe we shouldn't do this again if you're gonna be like that."

Those words caught Mikasa's attention.

Mikasa: "no (y/n)"

Me: "now you're speaking."

Mikasa: "sorry.. I'm just overthinking"

Me: "at this time? It's hard to read you at times y'know."

Mikasa: "again I'm sorry.."