Chapter Twenty One

Once I finished my sobbing, Ray and I went outside to find everyone circled around the map I had marked. They were planning our next move.

"I do not know where we would find one. They are scattered about and there are not many left." Teylie said, resting her hands on her waist.

William shook his head, defeat in his long exhale. "They're our last chance. We need to know what the future holds."

I stepped up beside Apollo and asked, "Who's our last chance?"

They all looked at me, and it was Teylie who responded, fear in her lovely eyes and terror written across her face. "A Boggle."

A Boggle. The witch thought I was one of those... but, what were they?

Ray must have sensed my confusion because he said, "Boggles are creatures that know all. The future, past, and present of every living thing. They know every event to come, that has come, and that is."

Teylie chimed in then, "They once served the king as advisers. However, decades ago, they told him something he did not like... they were exiled. Some were even killed."

"Now," William said, more serious than I had ever seen him. "They resent humans. They used to be peaceful creatures... but now, they look for ways to screw them over."

I shook my head, "So, how do we find one?"

"It's practically impossible. They dodge and escape every human they come across." Apollo said. "And since we all look like humans... it's hopeless."

"Not quite." Teylie said with a small hopeful smile. "They do not use their eyes to look. They use their minds. They sense the soul of those that approach them." They all looked to me.

I tilted my head to the side knitting my eyebrows, wincing. "I'm the one going, aren't I?"

"You're the only one who can. All of us would repeal it. We feel and look like dragons... you... you are something different." Ray said.

I looked up at him and sighed sharply. "Well then," I looked at the family surrounding me. "Tell me what to do."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I stood in a clearing dressed in a long red velvet dress. My short hair curled slightly. And an orange sapphire necklace around my neck. I looked like a living flame. Like a ray of sun taken form.

Teylie had lent me the dress and jewels. They told me that Boggles were drawn to beauty.

I was told to stand completely still. To not move a muscle unless absolutely necessary. The Boggle would not approach me if I moved. I had been standing in the clearing for an hour. And only a few birds and squirrels had approached me. My legs and lower back ached and my feet felt like someone shoved knives into them.

None of my friends were around. I had to do this completely alone. Apparently, Boggles could sense every living thing within a ten mile radius of them... so I was to do this task on my own.

I took a slow deep breath.

A twig snapped behind me. I pushed down my wince and the instinct to turn around. Apollo told me that Boggles did not like to be seen when conversing with others. Something about being self conscious.

I swallowed, preparing the words I was to speak when this creature approached me. "Boggle, I am here. I am yours for the talking. I request information from you, if you will speak to me."

I waited. No response. Not a whisper, not even a breath.

I waited a few more seconds before slowly turning around.

A squirrel sat looking up at me, he was eating an acorn. His huge round eyes wide as he stared back at me.

I sighed. I had been talking to a squirrel. Wonderful. I smiled at the little creature. I snickered at myself as the little animal jumped and leaped away. I went back to not moving with an amused smiled still plastered to my face.

I looked around as far as my eyes would allow without moving my head, such silence... such stillness where wind and bugs and birds used to stir.

I was not alone in this clearing.

"I will speak to you." The Boggle said from behind me. It's voice a soothing and deep rumble. Chills erupted along my skin as I listened to it approach. Crunching leaves and snapping sticks as it walked. My heart beat quickened as I felt its breath on the back on my neck. "For you are something new." It said beside my ear.

Just then, I saw it. It walked to my front and stood there, staring back at me. It's eyes were not eyes... they were black pits with little lights stuck in them... they looked like the night sky. It's face and body resembled that of an ape. And it's body, covered in green and brown scales, was big and muscular. It had long horns on the top of its head, stretching up towards the sky. It smiled at me... the gesture sent fear deep into my gut. This was a thing of nightmares.

I swallowed hard. Then said, "Good afternoon. As I am aware you know, my name is Raven Willows."

The Boggle listed its head to the side, observing me closely before saying, "You're destiny is very foremost. Your current quest dealing with a frightening host." The thing sat down. "Ask your question. And I will provide a confession."

"Can the king be stopped from his evil plans?"

The lights in the Boggle's eyes grew brighter as it searched for the answer to my question. "Yes. However, your actions may lead to quite the mess."

"How do we stop the king?" I asked, trying to sound bold.

"You must attend his ball that is to occur in three days. This is how you stop his evil ways."

"What will happen at this ball?"

"You will learn a lesson needed to proceed in your quest. This will cause a harsh pain in your chest."

"Will the king die by my hand?"

"Long ago my brothers thought the king would be gone. But, here he is alive, still with all his brain and brawn. He has cheated death time after time. This, Death himself sees as a crime."

I pushed down my growl at his indirect answer. "Will... will I die during my quest?"

"Your future is unknown. This means it in not set in stone. You could fail. You could prevail. You have Life and Death on your side. They both have chosen you to guide. Siding with their long lost lover. Life sends gifts for death to discover. When these gifts reach Death's hand, they have withered. For they are old and disfigured." The Boggle stood then and took a few steps closer to me. "These divine beings have chosen you. Your destiny has been designed to renew."

"So, all I have to do is go to this ball then?" I asked, my temper flaring at the time being wasted.

The Boggle sighed, "Yes. This will be best."

Then it was gone. Vanished on the mid day breeze. I knitted my eyebrows in confusion. That stupid creature wasted my time. He barely told me anything useful.

I rolled my eyes and began my march to the meeting point where my friends were waiting for me.

I knew in that moment that I was not fond of riddles.