☯Chapter 3: The Southern Air Temple☯

The sun was rising as Aang started to tell Katara about the Southern Air Temple.
"Wait 'til you see it Katara," Aang said while tightening Appa's reins, "It's one of the most beautiful places in the world."
"Aang," Katara started, "I know you're excited but, it's been a hundred years since you've been home.
"That's why I'm so excited!"
"And that's also why I suggested that we stopped there first," Ann-Ji said standing up from the river.
"It's just, a lot can change in that time," Katara said dryly.
"I know. But I need to see it for myself," Aang said hopping down from Appa, "Wake up, Sokka!"
Did I forget to mention that he was still asleep? Yeah, he's a really heavy sleeper.
"Air temple here we come!" Aang cried excitedly.
Sokka groaned then said, "Sleep now. Temple later."
"Sokka, you can sleep in Appa's saddle," Ann-Ji said smirking.
Aang gained a mischievous grin on his face. He picked up a stick and started to drag it across Sokka's sleeping bag.
"Sokka!" Aang cried, "Wake up! There's a prickle snake in your sleeping bag!"
Sokka's eyes snapped open before he cried, "Aah! Get it off!"
Sokka shot up and continued to scream.
"Get it off! Aah!" Sokka cried before tripping on a rock.
Aang laughed before saying, "Great! You're awake. Let's go!"

The group was flying through the clouds as they headed towards the air temple. Sokka was rummaging through Appa's saddle looking for something to eat.
"You know," Ann-Ji started, "If you had gotten up earlier, you could have eaten with us!"
"I don't want to hear it, Ann-Ji," Sokka said, still searching for food.
"I'm just saying!" Ann-Ji said in a sing-song voice.
"Alright, stomach, be quiet. I'm trying to find us some food," Sokka growled.
"Telling your stomach to stop growling doesn't work. I would know. I was once made to go several days without eating to supposedly 'meditate better without the distraction of food' but to be honest, the distraction of hunger was greater than that of food."
Sokka found a bag that was empty then said, "Hey, who ate all my blubbered seal jerky?"
Aang froze up before saying, "Oh. That was food? I used it to start the campfire last night. Sorry."
"You what?" Sokka cried, "No wonder the flames smelt so good."
"The Patala mountain range! We're almost there!" Ann-Ji cried.
Mai-Tang might not be around anymore, but she was really excited to see how some of her friends were fairing after a hundred years.
"Aang, Ann-Ji," Katara started, "Before we get to the temple, I want to talk to you two about what happened to the airbenders."
"What about 'em?" Aang asked looking straight ahead.
"Well, I just want you to be prepared for what you two might see. The Fire Nation is ruthless. They killed my mother. They could have done the same to your people."
"Just because no one has seen an airbender doesn't mean the Fire Nation killed them all. They probably escaped."
"I know it's hard to accept."
"You don't understand, Katara," Aang insisted, "The only way to get to an airbender temple is on a flying bison. I doubt the Fire Nation has any flying bison."
"I don't think you need to worry about me, Katara," Ann-Ji added, "I'm 16. Trust me, I can handle a lot more than you think."
"Yip yip!" Aang cried.
Appa started to ascend sharply towards the air temple.
"There it is," Aang said.
"The Southern air temple," Ann-Ji finished.
"Guys, it's amazing!" Katara cried.
"We're home guys," Aang said with a smile, "We're home."

"So where do I get something to eat?" Sokka asked hungerly.
"You're lucky to be one of the first outsiders to ever visit an airbender temple and all you can think about is food?" Katara ranted.
"I'm just a simple guy with simple needs."
"So that's where my friends and I would play airball," Aang said pointing to the field of airball posts.
"There's where the bison would sleep," Ann-Ji said pointing to many caves near the game field.
Aang started to speak but sighed instead.
"What's wrong?" Katara asked.
"This place use to be full on monks and lemurs and bison. Now there's just a bunch of weeds," Aang returned, "I can't believe how much things have changed."
"Sokka! You should play airball with Aang!" Ann-Ji cried.
"How do you play?" Sokka asked.
Really, it was a bit of a mistake to have Sokka playing airball since he can't airbend but, Ann-Ji had to cheer up her brother and he really wanted to share their culture with Sokka and Katara. So now they're both standing on airball posts. Ann-Ji was playing ref. Aang shot the ball towards Sokka. It hit him in the stomach and him and the ball both tumbled through the goal.
"No goal!" Ann-Ji cried.
"Why?" Aang asked.
"Technical foul. No having opponents flying through the goals with the ball. So you still only have 6 goals."
Aang came up towards Ann-Ji and tried to push her off of the ref post but he failed and she pushed him back, making him fall. They both were laughing like it was the day before he tried to run.
"Aang, Ann-Ji!" Katara yelled, "There's something you need to see."
"Okay!" Aang cried as he ran towards Katara, now juggling the airball ball.
Ann-Ji ran after him and towards Katara as well.
"What is it?" Ann-Ji asked when she got there.
"Uh, just a new waterbending move I learned," Katara said hesitantly.
"Nice one!" Aang said.
Aang and Ann-Ji looked at each other and nodded our heads. It was time to show them.
"Now, enough practicing! We have a whole temple to see!" Ann-Ji cried clapping her hands together.