Chapter 16 (Edited)

Here is the link for 'They Call Me Foxy'. I am serious, ya'll might want to read this book with it. Don't forget to vote/comment. ^-^/ Link: https://www.wattpad.com/271077818-they-call-me-foxy-book-1-of-%27they-call-me%27-series

____________________________________________________________________________

I moved a hand through Avery's hair, trying to get the poor girl to stop crying. Guilt filled my heart, because I knew that it was my fault for causing her pain. I took a deep breath and sighed as I closed my eyes, waiting for my cousin to come.

I opened my eyes when I heard my cousin enter the room and offered her a small smile. Relief flooded my system when I saw that she was all right and blinked back tears. A small smile appeared on my lips when she stared at me and held out my hand, wanting to make sure that she was actually safe.

Jo cleared her throat and shifted on her feet, and I could tell that she was nervous. She looked at the small girl at my side, and I could tell that she did not trust the small female.

"Alexia's daughter," I said, staring down at the girl in me lap, grateful to see that she wasn't crying as much. I moved a hand through my niece's hair, something that I had done to Jo when she was crying or on the verge of tears. "Come on, you can come over." I looked back at her, sensing the urgency that she had.

She cleared her throat and walked over to me, and I could tell that she was acting as if she didn't care what anyone thought. She was trying to be strong, even though it was all right for her to cry.

"Jo Anne," I scowled, narrowing my eyes at her. "She is family. You do not have to be acting strong in front of her."

She scowled but didn't comment.

I smirked. I was tired, but I knew that it was better for me to make sure that my cousin was safe before I went to sleep. "Come, come," I said, gesturing to her. "I know that you are wanting to come over to me but won't because of a small child."

She pursed her lips and walked to my side, knowing that it was better for her to come over to me than to stay and argue. She grunted when I pulled her into a hug and listened as she tried not to cry. "I thought I lost you," she whispered, her voice cracking.

My heart broke more with the guilt that I was feeling. I chuckled and kissed her forehead before running a hand through her hair. I pushed the feeling of guilt away, because I did not want her to know and get scolded like a child. "Come now," I said, slightly teasingly, "You can't get rid of me that easily."

She sighed and let her walls break for a moment before putting them back in place. Jo pulled out of my hug and moved to the front of my bed where my records were hanging in a small binder. "When did Karen say you could get out of bed?" she asked, flipping through them.

I glared at her, not liking that she turned into an emotionless robot after a few minutes. "I am on bed rest for a week," I replied, grabbing hold of a pen. "But, we both know that if I am able to, then I will not do it." I threw it at her and cursed when she caught it without looking. "Stop going over her work. Both she and the service members had done everything that was planned."

"Any casualties?" she asked, closing the binder and looked at me. "What?" she asked, raising an eyebrow when she caught me scowling at her. Her green eyes watched me with no emotion, and I hated it.

"Would you act like a human for once?" I scowled as if she was still a child. I narrowed my eyes when all she did was turn away to look at me. I could tell that she was trying to stop from caring, but both of us knew that she cared a lot. I knew that she hated showing her feelings, and I felt the same way. "You aren't the only that was scared of losing me."

"I was not scared of losing you," she replied. She was lying. She did care about losing me and her father.

"Then why are you here?" I asked, raising an eyebrow. "I know you, Jo Anne."

"Do you?" she asked, turning to look at me. She glared at me, fury burning in those green eyes of hers. Her nostrils flared, and she bared her teeth. "Do you know me? Or do you know what you see?" She ran a hand through her hair, and I could tell that she was tired and that the stress of these past few weeks were catching up to her.

I studied her, and my gaze softened. "Go back," I said, softly. "Your father needs you there." I held up a hand, stopping her from talking. "I will be fine. I've survived worse, and you know it, Jo Anne Marine," I added. "Promise me to get some rest before you do anything stupid."

She scowled and narrowed her eyes at me. She didn't want to listen. She wanted to stay here and make sure that I was all right and healing. "And, why should I listen to you?"

I raised an eyebrow and blinked. "Maybe because I am like a second mother to you," I replied, bluntly. "Or, I could get Blue to come in and scare you off." I smirked and looked down. "Or I could tell someone that someone is here when they aren't supposed to be and have you locked up."

She growled, and I could tell that she narrowed her eyes at me. "You wouldn't," she said, darkly causing Avery to snicker.

"You know I would, Jo," I replied. "And, this is Avery." I gestured to the child. "She is like Alexia." I knew that I didn't have to tell her how Avery was like Alexia, and I was grateful for that. I knew that Jo would want to send some members here, but I knew that it was best for them to be where they were at and on guard.

"I'll make sure that I can get-"

"Don't. I have all ready made arrangements with your father," I said, interrupting her. "Now go."

"Don't die," she growled before leaving.

"I won't," I said, my heart breaking. I knew that I might not be able to keep the promise, but I was going to keep it as long as I could. I looked down at the small girl in my arms and smiled. "Well?" I asked.

"I like her," she said. "She's a bit cold, but she is good."