Chapter One: The Move

"Honey! We have to go now if we want to beat traffic!" My mom's voice floated up the stairs to my now empty bedroom.

I stood in the center of the room, turning in a slow circle. I wanted to soak in the memories. All that was left were pale pink walls and a white ceiling fan, but in my mind, I saw everything in their places. I saw myself on my hot pink, floral bedspread, playing 'Too Young' by Sabrina Carpenter on my guitar while my best friend Audrey Tate sang the lyrics. Unconsciously, I began humming it.

"Grace," Audrey's soft, delicate voice brought me back to reality. "I wish you didn't have to go." Standing in the doorway, she appeared quite small and somehow childlike. She was blond, blue-eyed, fair-skinned, and short. Like, five foot even type of short.

I completely faced her, my hazel eyes studying her. "I wish that, too. My mom thinks this will be a fresh start for the both of us since...well, y'know." My voice came out in a whisper. Mom and I were moving because San Diego reminded Mom of Dad too much. Today marked the anniversary of Dad's death—a whole year without him. I sighed. God, I miss him so much. Why'd You have to take him from us?

"I know. It's just–" Audrey paused, searching for the right words to express her emotions. She always had trouble with that. "—I don't understand why you can't finish high school here, I guess. Summer's over in four days, and you'll be a senior. I thought–"

I had made my way toward her while she was still speaking, and I wrapped my arms around her once I reached her. Standing half a foot taller than her, I had to bend forward a little. In a gentle voice, I interrupted, "I know. I'm really confused and a little mad I can't change anything. But, Drey, we have technology. Instagram, snapchat, text, and so much more. Our friendship won't be broken."

"I know." She sighed and hugged me back. "I know."
~ ~ ~
"Goodbye, Audrey, dear. Tell your mom I said goodbye, and that I'll call her when we arrive at Lake Hope." Mom gave my best friend since birth a long, motherly hug. When they pulled away, she smiled affectionately at her; Audrey was like a second daughter to her.

"Bye, Mrs. Lincoln. I will, promise." Audrey nodded, eyes watering. She turned to me after my Mom got into the driver's side of the blue minivan, throwing her arms around my neck. "Promise we'll stay in touch?"

I hugged back and nodded. "Of course, Drey. You still planning on Stanford?" We made a pact that we'd go to Stanford University together after high school, just like our Dads.

"You betcha!" Her smile beamed with joy, despite the sadness in her eyes. "You?"

"Counting on it!" I smiled back, giggling. "We're made to be Stanford girls!"

We high-fived, spun in a full circle, and hip bumped. Our special 'handshake.' We both giggled afterward, promising again that we would stay in touch and hugging one more time. Longer this time.

Once the happy moment ended and the bittersweet feeling of a new adventure without my best friend crept into my heart, I opened the passenger side door of the minivan. After getting in, I pressed the button to roll down the window for one more goodbye.

"Love ya!" She waved, beating me to it.

"Love ya more!" I waved back.

With that, Mom backed the van out of the driveway. I watched as Audrey stood there, struggling to keep a smile on her face. Our journey was beginning. Although, I had no idea how crazy it would be.
~ ~ ~
"You're awfully quiet, Honey." Mom broke the silence after about two hours of driving. She didn't move her eyes off the road. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry for up rooting you from everything and everyone you've ever known. I–" She paused.

"Mom, it's fine. I mean, it's not, but there's nothing to be done to change it. Dad said never to dwell on the should've-could've-would've, so let's just face this together."

She inhaled and exhaled slowly, thinking. Then she smiled and laughed. "How'd I get so lucky to have a daughter like you? I love you to the moon and back."

I laughed with her, joking, "Gotta thank that stork!" Then, more seriously, I looked at her side profile and said, "Love you, too, Momma."

She reached over and gave my hand a squeeze. "How about some music? You pick."

I squeezed her hand back. I didn't like the idea of moving, but at least I'd have my mom. "Yeah, okay." I flipped through the CD folder until I found the Lauren Alaina disc and popped it into the car CD player. I skipped a couple songs to my favorite one–'The Middle.'

"Take each day and make it last,
'Cause you turn around and the future is the past.
Here and now is all we have,
The beginning and the end mean so little,
What matters most is what's in the middle."

I sang along to the chorus. It reminded me of my Dad and made him feel close to me. As I sang the song, I felt happy and safe. I took hold of that feeling and clung to it for as long as I could because only God knew what was to come next.