Jordan Parrish - "I lost our baby"

"Jordan..." You stared at the shopping bag in your left hand and then you stared at your empty right hand. Panic was racing through your veins and your chest was moving up and down, even though you didn't seem to get as much oxygen as you actually needed.

"What's wrong, honey?" He smiled at you, but you couldn't bring yourself to smile back at him.

Your eyes were still staring at your empty right hand. Only a couple of minutes ago your fingers had been entwined with those small and tiny little fingers. Only a few seconds ago you had told your son that his father would return any second now. But now your hand was empty. Just empty. "He's gone..." You held your breath and looked up, scanning the crowd. "He's gone..." You swallowed a few times. "I lost our baby..."

Jordan placed his hands on your shoulders and he locked his glance with yours. "Don't worry. We'll find him. I promise." He licked his lips and you shook your head while the tears rolled down your cheeks.

"This mall is huge! He can be anywhere!" You were almost screaming and around you people were turning their heads. You could see the judgement in their eyes. You could see the frowned and raised eyebrows. You could hear the whispers of the mothers and fathers around you, wondering how someone could lose a child, their child.

"We'll find him." Jordan nodded at you and then he squeezed your shoulders once more. "He's not even two years old. He can't be that far away."

You took a deep breath. You weren't too sure about that. You had seen him running through the living room. You had seen how quickly he could get somewhere or could grab something. You knew how even the smallest distraction and one second of not paying attention could change everything.

Maybe he was only two years old, but he was quicker than water and fascinated by even the smallest and barely noticeable things.

"Come with me." Jordan grabbed your hand and he started to make his way through the crowd. He kept his eyes on the ground and you did the same, but no matter how many children you passed, not one of them was your son. Jordan eventually stood still in front of the counter. "Excuse me, miss?" He smiled a calm smile and you wondered why he was not panicking right now. Why wasn't he even thinking about the possibility that something had happened? Why wasn't he even wondering if maybe someone had taken him? "We lost our son. He's two years old and he's wearing a Disney shirt. He's called Devon and he's wearing a plastic sheriff pin on his chest."

"We will make an announcement for you, Sir." The lady behind the counter smiled politely and Jordan squeezed your hand. "Attention, attention..."

You could barely focus on the announcement. A thousand ideas, fears and worries were going through your mind and you were sweating all over your body. You should have held his hand tighter. Maybe you shouldn't have allowed him to walk at all. Maybe you should have put him in the carrier. Maybe you should have bought one of those leashes, even though you had been so against them. Everything was better than the horrible feeling you were feeling right now because you had lost him.

"Mommy!"

You looked up when you heard a small sharp voice and you let out a relieved sigh when you saw Devon in the arms of a stranger. "Devon! There you are! Where have you been?" You pulled your hand back and wrapped your arms around your baby boy to press him to your chest.

"Dog!"

"Did you see a dog?" You forced yourself to smile and you pressed at least ten kisses to Devon's forehead.

"You can't just let mommy's hand go to pet a dog!" Jordan wrapped his arms around the two of you, a bright smile on his face. "Come, I'll get the two of you ice cream."

"O yes, of course, let's reward him for running away." You rolled your eyes, but once again you tightened your grip around the little boy in your arms.

"He didn't run away. He saw a dog." Jordan pressed a soft kiss on your head.

"I know who's holding his hand the next time we go to the mall."