22: Choices

THIRD PERSON

"Where did I start picking the wrong life choices?" Haneul mumbled to herself, pushing her lower lip forward as she fiddled with the hem of her shirt.

Lately, elevators had became a place for her to think about life questions and ponder over them for the few moments of solitude. Then, there was the ding! to always snap her back to reality.

Although sometimes, she'd get off the elevator absentmindedly only to realize it wasn't her floor yet. Or worse, she wouldn't get off at all. She'd stay there only to realize she had missed her stop a couple of floors away.

Haneul strode past the reception counter and out of the building. The uninvited icy brush of wind masking her face etched an unimpressed expression on her profile.

"You okay?" a voice asked, evidently holding a chuckle in.

"I just suddenly felt so attacked right now," she monotonously replied, and her lips broke into a dry smile. "But since you've been standing there longer, I assume you can't feel your face anymore."

Taehyung let Haneul in his car before he climbed into the driver's seat. He adjusted the heater while she buckled her seatbelt.

"Are you sure you're fine with this?" Taehyung asked. "You don't have to go if you don't want to."

Haneul pouted, propping her chin on her palms, elbow leaning on the window. It was certain that she did not exactly want to go, but her deduction had told her it was best to just get this done with.

Plus, it wouldn't hurt to have a simple dinner with the root of all this intertwining fate.

So in reply to Taehyung, she merely nodded her head to assure him whilst deep inside, she was trying to assure herself as well.

Taehyung turned the radio on before maneuvering the car. The first few minutes were bland with only the radio sounds to fill the silence.

But when this certain song blasted, there was a quick change of atmosphere. Taehyung rapped along the lines with full confidence, bobbing his head to the beat.

Haneul found this rather funny and amusing that Taehyung also had this hidden talent. Though the only phrase she caught clearly was the reoccurring line "sorry bae."

All the while, she also silently prayed that he wouldn't get too carried away.

Last thing I want to happen is to replace Chaerin on her hospital bed with a rapping monster wannabe next to me.

Fortunately, the next song managed to calm him down from his hype.

Roughly an hour later, Taehyung pulled over in front of a two-story abode, guarded with black iron gates with thin horizontal gaps. The sight piqued Haneul's interest, and she eyed the exterior with much attention.

Which was probably why she nearly fell out when Taehyung opened the car door for her. Thank goodness for the existence of seat belts.

A maid ushered them to the foyer and not even the interior had failed Haneul's expectations. It wasn't the expensive furnitures and ornaments that awed her, but the style and identity of the house. No exaggerations with the designs and all.