Chapter One: Melancholy

M E L A N C H O L Y

M E L A N C H O L Y

"Would I be different, if I had chosen a different path, if I had stopped and looked back?"

•••

[L/N] [F/N], no illegal offenses or arrests, clean record and an A straight student, a good family and living in the U.S..." The scruffy, cheeto mustached man stared in my eyes, into my soul. I didn't flinch an inch.

"Now, how does a academically awarded and intelligent young woman like yourself get involved in an illegal organization in South Korea?" His tongue pocked at his cheek cockily, as if thinking he was actually fazing me. He wasn't.

I shrug, "Shit happens." My reply seemed to piss off the investigator in front of me. "Shits going to happen if you don't cooperate. Now, who do you work for?" I had a talent for easily pissing people off, and I prided on it.

"Oh so just because I'm a woman I can't be the mastermind? Wow, I'm going to tumblr shame you so-o bad." I pretended to act offended with a hand on my chest, "Wait until my followers on my blog read this shi-"

"Enough! I don't have time for your bullshit." He slammed his hands harshly on the table. "And you think I have time for yours?" I smirked glancing over towards the one way mirror wondering how many people are watching me diss this prick.

"DNA." I mumble causing the man to cock a brow. "DNA?" His tone was questioning, "Dead Nigga Association." I stare deep into the man's confused eyes. "You're insane..." The man muttered with disgust clear on his face.

"Deadass?" I let out a snort completely and utterly unfazed.

[Woah, woah! Hol' up, this doesn't make any sense, does it? We need to go back, way back...]

A Year Earlier...

"Yes mom...Yeah, yeah... I'm at school now, you don't need to check every five minutes that I'm at school..." I mentally groan at my mother's protectiveness.

"I don't want you skipping classes like that girl...uhh... what's her face... Kelly?" My mom of the other line spoke snobbish as I roll my eyes.

"It's Kerry," I correct, "Mom, look, I'm at school so with all do respect I need to get to class." I lift my glasses, rubbing the bridge of my nose, sick of my parent's shit.

"[Y/N] before you go, we'll be having dinner with the Williams family tonight. - Ah yes, Robert get me a latte, pronto!  - Don't be late and make sure to look nice. I don't want you looking like you live in a tent." She said in the middle of talking to her assistant.