CHAPTER 1

DECEMBER 12, 2015

I miss him. And, I swear when I close my eyes I can still smell the scent of his cologne. Why did he have to leave me? Why did he have to go so suddenly? I wasn't ready.  I wasn't ready to face life without him. Knowing that my crazy, messed up mind and the way I just didn't have my shit together, could be the reason why he isn't here. Each morning, I wake up and study his picture. I remember every detail about him. I know where every hair is and where it isn't . I can see that he was unhappy in that photo.  Suddenly, I'm filled with anger.
" WHY DID YOU GO?!!"
I scream to the top of my lungs, wondering if he will answer me today. It's the same as every other day. Nothing! He just says nothing! Perhaps, if I had paid him more attention this wouldn't have happened.
(The phone rings)
I stare down at the phone. I ignore the call. I had been doing that all week yet he still calls me.  I know he wants to check on me but until I can figure out his motives I don't know if I really wanna be bothered. I don't know what made me give him my number anyway. It's only been a year and a half since I lost Randi and I'm not ready for anything serious right now. I can't even go a full night without seeing him In my dream. So, to think that I could entertain anyone right now is completely hurting my brain. I peel myself out of bed and walk over to the mirror
" You have seen better mornings." , I say to my reflection . I shift my hair from the left side to the right. Nothing life-changing happens.
"Whelp, I tried." I say, trying to convince my mirrored self, that my effortless attempt to fix my hair was a genuine action. I turn the shower water on to the hottest that I can withstand and step in to begin my morning ritual. There is something about the steaming hot water that feels purifying. I feel like it releases a stress from within that only can be removed by the blazing hot temperature. I quickly dress and brush my hair into a bun. I think I feel bad for the way my reflection looked at me this morning and the bun served as a peace offering. I grabbed my keys, my phone and an apple. If today was gonna be anything like the day before, this apple
Would end up being breakfast, lunch, and dinner. As I start up the Corolla, I check my cellphone . There is a text message from Maximus. I guess he sent it after I conveniently ignored him this morning.

"Gm Kaiden, I know you ignored me...lol.. but I will see you later...dont forget I owe you breakfast."
                       ~M. Krane~

"Oh shit!! Breakfast! That's today!." I look at my apple and toss it out the window. I haven't been much of a breakfast person lately, so, I definitely felt betrayed by the apple at this point. There was no way I was prepared to pretend that pancakes on a fancy plate was my idea of a nutritious, balanced breakfast. However, it is his persistence that got him this far and I guess I can atleast, let him do this to get it out of the way. I text Maximus back at the red light to let him know that I would be in attendance after my first class, but, mostly, so that I didn't seem like a complete butt hole. Which, might I add, had actually become my specialty. I guess losing Randi has shortened my tolerance level for people.

"Gm Maximus
you can't possibly, be sure that I ignored you because that would be creepy and suggest that you looked through my window this morning. So, if you didn't, my story is that I was simply in the shower and missed your call. So, see you at your place at 930. Oh, and I hope you can cook."

Almost as soon as I hit send on the text message, the notification alarm signified his response.

"You know...you really can just call me Max."

I quickly replied to his message before rushing to my Psychology class.

"But then what would you fuss about. Going to class see you soon Mr. Maximus."

He quickly replied.

" Mister? :(  "

I laughed to myself. Which, was one thing about Maximus that I was not particularly pleased about . I wasn't happy that Maximus Krane had the ability to make me smile and giggle like a school aged,  goofy, little kid. Mostly, because I still didn't understand what he saw in me. I was so different than the other women he was rumored to have been with. But, also because laughing at him so much is what made me lower my guard and give him my number in the first place. He didn't give up and I felt almost sorry for him and gave in. I mean, he had been trying to get my number since the year before I met Randi. Don't get me wrong, he is very attractive and anyone would love to have him but, that's the problem.  All the women would love to have him and  that made me not interested. The women fell all over him and if half of the women knew that I had a breakfast date with "The" Maximus Krane, they would be having me for breakfast.
I make it to class and sit down in an empty seat, pulled out my book and fixed my ears on my professor. Since Randi died, I had been really into mental illness and was only a couple of classes away from having my degree in psychology. It would be the first good thing to happen In my life since he died. And I was in real desperate need of a good thing.