TeleVista - Prologue

Hey! This is my first story...sooo...please be nice! :) I know it's not very long, but the chapters will be longer in the future! Sooo...read and enjoy!

Chapter 1

13 years ago.  Televista.

"Look, it’s the Candelabra galaxy!"  A teenage babysitter and her friend, three children in tow, attempted to rally the troops at getting the most out of their visit to the Stellar Planetarium. “Anybody want to look through a Sateviewer to find a constellation?”

Though a sweeping three-dimensional display of the riveting night sky replaced the whole of the planetarium ceiling, interest was low as two boys shoved each other about and nearly trampled the younger girl beside them.  The babysitter’s patience frosted.  “Hey, watch out for the little one!"  Then to her friend, "Good grief, these guys are gonna trample their own cousin.” 

 “Welcome.”  An older, smartly-dressed lady approached, seeing the need to help bring focus to their group.  “I am the caretaker here at Stellar.  We have a beautiful view of Zea tonight.”  Her voice conveyed a higher education, her accent unmistakable yet hard to place.   “Please let me know if I can be of any assistance to you.” 

The babysitter explained “I was given money so they could see the dolphin show over at the aquarium.  Hoped they might get a kick out of this too.  But no…” 

“Maybe we should just get them home and they can watch a movie or something,” her friend offered. 

“Very well,” said the caretaker with a courteous smile.  “Have a pleasant evening and come back soon.”

They moved on.  The boys kept banging into each other, their guardians swatting at their behinds and threatening them with worse.   It took a moment before they realized the "little one", a quiet four year old girl, wasn't following along.  Instead she had perched herself on an auditorium seat, her stare fixed on the glorious array of stars above.

"Annarra!   Annarra, come on honey, you need to stay up close to the rest of us.” 

But the child didn't budge…seemingly hadn't even heard her.  The older girl came back, softened her disposition and gently slid into the seat next to her, craning her head upward to take in the scenery too.

"They're pretty, aren't they sweetie?" she said softly with admiration.  At least one of their group had an interest in stargazing. "That big, bright one there is called Zea.  It's our closest neighboring planet.  My Grandpa used to work there.”  She peeked over to see if Annarra registered any reaction to this news. Seeing none, she switched tactics. “Do you see any patterns like bunnies or clowns in the stars?”

Annarra never took her eyes off the sky, but whispered a faint reply.  "How do they do that?"

"Do what baby girl?"

"They dance together,” she observed, and paused a moment before adding "and they talk to me.”

That was an unexpected yet amusing statement.  Kids and their imagination.  She remembered how when she herself was little she accused God of being mean for putting cotton candy up in the air where children couldn't reach it, referring to the clouds.

"Really?  What do they have to say?”  But Annarra did not answer, as though she was now the possessor of a secret she was unwilling to share. 

"Well, you can tell me next time I watch you.  Let's get you back to your apartment for bedtime.”  Taking Annarra by the hand, the two made for the exit to catch the others.  As they navigated the marble steps outside leading to the sidewalk and the trolley pick-up point nearby, the caretaker moved to the doorway and looked after them as they went. 

She studied the little girl and spoke to an unseen companion.  “Now there is an interesting child.”  She contemplated an apparent response.  “No, but we must be diligent.  Small children do not remain small forever.”

Retreating from the entrance area, she issued further directives.  “I could not get a good read.  Find out who she is. We need an opportunity,” then her voice trailed off, “even if it takes years to develop.”

The name badge pinned to the blazer of the planetarium caretaker read "Estelle Warner".  Estelle Warner knew that the stars of the Candelabra danced together. 

She also knew what they had to say...

TeleVistaOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara