01 - pilot.

06-12-17 note: THIS STORY IS ON HOLD/UNDER EDITING FOR A WHILE. author is struggling with being cohesive and needs to change a few things about this chapter.

-

Despite having known each other since junior high school, there are still many things Camila forgets about her best friend, Dinah.

One of these is the fact that the girl can be pretty cranky at times, even crankier than Camila herself. It surprises her quite a lot of times whenever the younger girl exhibits it.

The two of them are sat in a diner not far from the university, Camila enjoying a cup of strong coffee to herself while Dinah opted for a chocolate milkshake of her own to pair with her burger and fries. It is around eight in the evening and Dinah had stared at her weirdly when she made her order, but Camila doesn't let it faze her. She likes her coffee and she will drink her coffee.

"Some people are just so fucking disrespectful," Dinah mutters distastefully as she grabs for the ketchup on the table. Camila just looks at her best friend in amusement, noting the bitter curl on the girl's mouth as she pushes the ketchup bottle with distinct aggression.

Camila remembers what caused the girl to be so annoyed. It's not so long ago that someone just tried to spill a drink on her to try and test some charm afterwards. Some kind of pathetic ploy to hit on Dinah, that's what it was. Camila saw it with her very own eyes how the man had a mischievous glint in his eyes when he spilled half of his drink on Dinah's arm.

But Dinah wasn't having any of it. She basically scared the guy off with how aggressively she had told him to "go screw himself" and flipping him off. Camila just watched the interaction with a small smile of entertainment, knowing full well that intervening would not be the best option.

"Huh," Camila chuckles to the girl's remark as she stirs her coffee, "tell me about it, DJ."

The night is young and the diner is almost occupied to its full capacity. Most of the customers are students from their university, out having a good time since it is Friday night. There are families too, who are probably just out to bond. Things are fine. It's almost as if nothing terrible has happened just months ago.

Camila watches in silence as the people come and go with their chitchats, curious eyes trying to study the individuals in the room to take her mind off some stuff. She can see a few acquaintances not far off to the end in a booth just like theirs, putting a name to those faces — Perrie, Jade, Jesy, and Leigh-Anne. They have two boys with them whose backs are to their booth, but Camila can still make out their distinct appearances to know that these boys are Harry and Liam. Camila can also recognize a group a bit nearer to them, knowing that they are one of the older people in the university whom she has never been acquainted with. She knows their faces though.

These people are so happy, Camila thinks to herself, it's almost as if they forgot.

Releasing a particularly loud sigh, Camila brings her attention back to the coffee cup in front of her. Dinah seems to be enjoying her burger so much, nearly wolfing a third of it down in one bite. Camila can't bring it in herself to tease the girl about it though; her mood has been quite off since the day started.

Apparently, Dinah notices this as well.

"Alright, what's on your mind?" the girl asks as soon as she swallows down her food, quirking an eyebrow at her. "I've been trying to get you to talk the whole day but you're surprisingly very quiet."

Camila only huffs and wraps both hands around her coffee cup, bringing the porcelain to her lips to take a sip. It is harsh against her tastebuds but it wakes her soul up a bit. "Nothing, really," she answers as soon as she puts the piece of china down onto its saucer. She knows it is a lie. She has had a lot of things on her mind since the day it has happened. She bets Dinah knows though. Camila doesn't understand why she's playing clueless.