Chapter 18

Newt awoke to find himself in a hospital bed at St Mungo's, his vision was slightly blurry but he could see that someone was sitting at the end of the bed. Newt shook his head as his eyes came into focus, the man had a short grey beard, a purple robe, and bright blue eyes.

"Ah I see you're awake Mr Scamander!" Dumbledore said cheerily smiling at Newt's confused face.

"P-professor, what happened?! Grindelwald he-then you-" Newt stuttered but paused when Dumbledore held up his hand for him to stop. "No need to worry Mr Scamander, all has been taken care of." he said sincerely, "The man you thought was Grindelwald was not who he seemed to be." Newt was astonished, "Not Grindelwald?! But sir-"

Dumbledore smiled, "The man that followed you to England, killed two wizards on the boat, and set fire to your home was one of Grindelwald's followers." He looked grave, "Apparently once he broke out of MACUSA he didn't want to be caught again, so he transfigured one of his faithful followers into an exact copy of himself. So while that Grindelwald could track down you the real Grindelwald would not be putting himself at risk." Dumbledore said solemnly.

Newt looked out the window, "So..he's still out there." Newt said, Dumbledore nodded. "I'm afraid so." The two men had a moment of silence as the thought processed through their head. "Sir..might I ask who was the copy Grindelwald?" Newt said, Dumbledore sighed.

"Leta Lestrange."

Newt's hand twitched in surprise, Dumbledore put a reassuring hand on Newt's. "You made a good choice to let go of the past Mr Scamander, she was a taker, but you needed a giver." he said wisely. Didn't Queenie say something like this to him once about Tina? Newt thought.

Wait...

TINA!

Dumbledore smiled, "Not to worry Mr Scamander, Ms Goldstein is right over there in that chair safe and sound." he pointed to a bright red chair near his cot where Tina was snoozing peacefully. "She never left your side while you were asleep." Dumbledore's eyes twinkled, "And I seem to have something of your's in my possession."

He dug his hand into the robe pocket and pulled out Newt's ring, it was a bit singed at the sides but it was still perfect. Newt's eyes widened, "H-how did you find it!" he said gasping as Dumbledore placed it into his open palm. He winked and tapped his forehead knowingly, "I am a wizard you know." Newt smiled gratefully and held up the ring in his fingers to examine it. Dumbledore smiled and looked over at Tina, "Well Scamander, I'll leave you to it." he said getting up and clapping Newt on the shoulder. Newt blushed, as Dumbledore walked out of the room humming the wedding march.

Tina awoke to the feeling of someone softly stroking her hair, she opened her eyes to see Newt's soft smile. "Newt!" She whispered then leaned over to hug him, "you're alive!" Newt laughed, "of course I am Tina, I would never leave you." They pulled apart, Tina's eyes were glistening with happy tears, "I didn't think you would wake up," Tina said gripping his hand tightly, "The stunning spell hit you so hard, and after the ceiling fell I didn't know if-" Newt quickly silenced her with a kiss. Tina was surprised at first but then relaxed after a while. Once they separated Tina saw that he had something small and shiny in the palm of his hand, her look of confusion made Newt blush. He held up the ring for her to see, realization finally hitting her as Tina gasped and her eyes grew wide. Newt began to stutter,

"i know it's not fancy, or has a diamond like Queenie's, but I thought it would be perfect for you, i mean, its like you, um, what I mean to say Tina is. I want to be your wife, oh wait no! Uh I mean, You be my wife, oh uh, what I mean is w-w-will you m-ma marry me?"