Explaining

I had phoned adam to come over because I felt so guilty for what I'd done

He came bursting through the door after about 10 minutes after my call and hugged me

"I don't know what I'm doing, why am I hear" I said beginning to cry

"It was an accident Elle, you didn't know" adam said trying to comfort me but a part of me thought he didn't believe me with this whole thing

"I just don't know what I've done to be placed here" I say sitting down on the couch

"Wait, don't you have like a job or something" I say looking over at him

"I work from home mostly, it's fine you're not interrupting anything" he says smiling sitting next to me

"What about me?" I asked next. "What do I do for work"

You work at the cultural department of a marketing company. You love it." He said smiling

That sounded nice, not what I planned but.. nice

This life wasn't as bad as I was afraid it could be. I had a job, a nice one for the looks of it, and what it had seemed a good family before I messed up, and friends, especially Adam and...

"Violet!" I suddenly said "where is she"

Adam looked away, I then knew something bad had happened

"Adam please"

The sighed and turned round to look at me

"You two had a fight... a couple years ago," he admitted.

"Why?" I asked, confused. What could we have possibly fought about and not made up later?
Violet had a fierce personality, so did I. We were both too stubborn and sometimes, yes, we would clash and argue about the silliest things. But we would always make up.  

Well..." adam started. He made a face, unsure of what to say; of how to say it. "Well, remember that party... the one you talked about yesterday?" I nodded. Yes, my last memory of my real life. "Well, Violet had a date that night... Do you remember that?" I nodded again, confused. I remembered she had said he was late and that was why we drank another huge shot. "Well, her date was Mike."

I looked at him shocked. Wait, what?

"She was okay with it at the beginning..." Adam said. "With you and Mike. She was happy. But then, when things got too serious between you and him, she got... jealous. And things were said. And you two never spoke again."

There was no way that could be it. Violet and I fighting over a boy? Stopping being friends because of a guy? If I was in my actual life right now, and not this alternative reality/dream/whatever it was, I would laugh so hard. It couldn't be. I couldn't have ruin my friendship with Violet over... over a guy.

"That's impossible..." I whispered.

"I'm sorry, Elle..." he said sadly, rubbing my back. "But that was a long time ago..."

"Not to me," I interrupted him. "We were friends two nights ago. That's how I remember it, Adam! And some guy... No way. I didn't even want a relationship in my future. I didn't want a family. I ..."

"Life is full of surprises, Elle." I gave him an angry look. "It's true! You might not remember it right now, but you're happy with Mike. And Harper."

Harper.

I looked down again, feeling terrible. Maybe I should call Mike and see how she was... I got up, leaving a confused Adam in the living-room, and went to get my phone from the bedroom. I found Mike's number on the contact list and called him on my way back to adam.