The Fifteenth Letter

Dear,

I would take back the words I said, but the pain in still present. My eyes are wet as my shaking hand moves across the paper. How am I to believe you would just let me go? You never even said goodbye.

Unless...but no, that cannot be right.

There was one time, back when things were simple between us, when we stopped in to the local cafe for a coffee, even though neither of us have a strong taste for it. You sat across from me at the booth, the way couples did and still do. When the coffees came, you asked for an extra straw and you took a sip of my drink, even though they were nearly identical in flavor. I didn't care. I had thought it was usual, platonic almost.

When I drove you to your house, you did something that surprised me. A simple kiss on the cheek was all it took to cause me to blush furiously. Dammit, I was awfully shy. You said goodbye and your eyes lingered on my lips. I know we were both thinking about that small first kiss we had shared. First and last, because you smiled and got out of the car. When you got to your front door, you glanced back over your shoulder. Our eyes met, and your smile faltered for less than a second. Then, it returned, glowing brighter than ever. You gave me a little wave and went inside.

That was the last time I had seen you since you stepped into that taxi and out of my life. I should have seen the signs when they first appeared. That one little long look at my lips, the way you looked at me through your bedroom window as I pulled out of your driveway. You were going to miss me, I can see that now. But do you miss me now? How am I to know? I have already answered all the questions burning at my brain. All the answers are yes.

Did I love you?

Do I miss you?

Was I pissed off to see you go?

Will I ever stop caring?

Will I move on?

I cannot make up your feelings, but I know we felt something those many nights ago, one summer not too long ago. But many days have passed since then, and I still miss you. I can only wonder if you felt the same.

Love, Tom.