o1 ; the void

♛ CHAPTER ONEthe void

CHAPTER ONE
the void

     "DON'T DEPEND TOO MUCH ON ANYONE in this world because even your own shadow leaves you when you are in darkness," she repeated the words of her brother as they buried his obliterated uniform into the ground

they received the letter made of heavy paper yesterday, stamped with the king's crown seal below a short thank you for matthias' life; along with his uniform he died in. that was all. there was no body. he was only 21.

claudia's heart felt heavy with dread as she patted down the last of the soil; her fingers covered in the dirt and her cheeks stained with tears. "good bye, matthias."

  "we have to go now," this came from her other brother jairus, his voice strained. it's first friday and attendance isn't optional. she stood up and followed him to town square. he walked one step ahead of her the whole way, but she didn't mind because she knew he was just trying to hide the fact he was shambles.

they've never been the type of siblings to be able to talk to each other about anything and everything, in fact they were the opposite. claudia was always closer to matthias; now he couldn't be more further away.

  she stopped walking just as they reached the foot of the hill that led up to the arena. jairus turned around when he could no longer hear her walking behind him and ran back down the stone steps to where she was standing.

     "you okay?" he asked, watching her worriedly. he looked uncomfortable asking her that but his worry seemed to outweigh his own comfort. "claudia?" he asked again when she didn't answer him.

her head shot up and she looked at him with wide brown eyes. "i have a feeling..." she said quietly; her gaze distant and hollow. "i feel like something bad is going to happen. it's like a void. a dark void."