34-Proposal

By the time they had reached their apartment building Obi Wan felt back to normal. He patted the box in his pocket. He was planning on taking Satine out to dinner and proposing tonight. It had been long enough. Also she had stood by him while he was in a coma for a month! He smiled absently.

Anakin nudged him. "Hey, whatcha smiling about?"

Obi Wan startled and felt suddenly uncomfortable.

Anakin raised a knowing eyebrow. "Satine?"

Obi Wan nodded and slid the box out of his pocket and showed Anakin. Anakin rolled his eyes. "Finally, Obi Wan, we've been betting on how long it would take you."

That startled Obi Wan. Really? It was a bit disconcerting. Was he that obvious? He slid the box back into his pocket and they walked into the building together in friendly silence. Anakin got off on his floor and he got off on his.
Satine was at work and he was still on leave from his injury so he searched up for the best restaurant for dinner that night. He settled for a five star restaurant called Stars of the Stars for dinner. He had a special plan for proposing and it wasn't going to be at the restaurant. He was going to surprise Satine.

He closed the screen he had opened fro his plan on the datapad and then reviewed his notes on the communication device he had been working on before his injury. He had tested the newest version and achieved a longer conversation and Luke had been able to see him. Time was very strange here. Things had progressed faster than the regular galaxy. There Luke had not yet faced Vader. Or had he? What had he missed in the time he was in his coma? 

He spent the rest of the time until Satine returned reading the reports of the past month and a half. He learned of Luke losing his hand, the construction of the second Death Star, and the capture of Luke's friends by Jabba the Hutt.

By the time he was finished, Satine was due to return in five minutes. He dressed in a suit and booked their table at the restaurant. 

When Satine walked in looking tired he gave her a bow and she smiled. "Would you like to go out to dinner?"

She smiled again and nodded. "Give me a moment, Obi Wan, I want to change."

Fifteen minutes later Obi Wan was driving their speeder to the restaurant. When they arrived, a waiter showed them to their table and took their orders. Satine looked lovely in a dark blue evening gown with silver ribbons on the neckline and around the waist. 

They sat together until the food arrived and a few minutes after they began to eat Satine asked "Any  particular reason for dinner?" 

"We haven't really had any quality time since I woke up. I thought this would be a nice time."  He answered.

Satine smiled and looked at him appreciatively. Her face looked less lined and more relaxed than even that morning. Her posture was also less tense and more relaxed.  

They talked and laughed until they finished dinner. After filling out the check they went back to their speeder and drove to their building in comfortable conversation. He parked the speeder and they walked inside. 

They entered the turbolift, the same one where they had met again when he had arrived. After the doors closed he got down on one knee and produced the box with the ring from his pocket.

"Satine, will you marry me? We met again in this very turbolift, fulfilling a wish I had never thought would occur. You stood by me for more than a month with no second thought. Will you make me the happiest man in the Valley?"

Satine put her hands to her mouth in amazement. "Yes. Yes!" He slid the ring onto her finger and kissed her. Only the chime of the turbolift door being open on their floor to long broke them apart. they walked together into their apartment, hand in hand.