Note from the Author

Dear Kind Readers,

It’s not very often that authors have the opportunity to lavish their readers with gifts. For example, it’s always been my opinion that The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender is best read while eating, and if I could, I would send each of you a gooey tarte tatin, or a sinfully rich éclair au chocolat and then there are always those gorgeous little macarons — to enjoy while reading. Alas, this isn’t possible, mainly because I lack the self-control it would take not to eat them all myself.

Luckily the grand people at Wattpad came up with an idea that’s just as good, perhaps even better. Over the next few weeks, we will be sharing the first six chapters of my debut novel, The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender, with YOU right here on Wattpad!

The Strange and Beautiful Sorrows of Ava Lavender is the story of Ava Lavender, a girl who is in all ways quite ordinary except she was born with the wings of a bird. It has been described as “an entrancing and sumptuously written multi-generational novel wrapped in the language of fable, magical realism, and local legend” (Publishers Weekly). And School Library Journal calls it “a unique book, highly recommended for readers looking for something a step away from ordinary.”

Until then, please enjoy the entire first six chapters of the story right here on Wattpad. I do recommend you stop by your local boulangerie before sitting down to read. And perhaps you wouldn’t mind if I just took a tiny bite out of one of your macarons?

Much love,

Leslye Walton

P.S. Please visit me at http://www.leslyewalton.com