(VI) Everything was cool until a camera tried 2 get in my bed...

Music: Gonna Tell Everybody by Christina Milian

~*~

Kat.

October, 1986

     When I woke up, my alarm clock read 1:24 p

When I woke up, my alarm clock read 1:24 p.m. But it wasn't possible because it was still dark outside. With my blanket wrapped around me, I strolled to my window and looked out at the moon, high above the trees in the distance. Then I wondered if I was dreaming or if my alarm clock had gone haywire.

I knew I would find out when the house phone started ringing.

"Hello?"

"Are you okay?" the baritone voice asked.

"I'm fine..."

"So, why aren't you smiling then?"

"Because..."

"Tell me."

Prince wouldn't really be calling me like this. So, I knew it was a dream.

I sat down in the middle of the floor, letting the blanket fall with me and wished it was someone else visiting my subconscious. But hearing his voice was comforting. "Um, I just feel a little lost."

"What do you mean?"

"I'm lonely. Why did you have to write that damn letter?"

Silence.

"I was doing just fine."

"I'm sorry, Kat..."

"I feel crazy..."

"Why?"

"Because I know I'm dreaming. And I shouldn't be dreaming about you."

"But we're just talking."

"Right..." For a moment, I squeezed my eyes shut, slamming the phone down beside me and tried waking myself—but it didn't work. Sighing, I put the phone back to my ear. "Prince?"

"Yes?"

"Umm..." I began wasting apologies. "I'm sorry. For..."

"For...what?"

"I miss you. Not in a romantic sense, but I just miss talking to you. I wish we could've learned to be better friends."

"I'm right here."

"No. This isn't real. You're gone..."

"Don't ever say I'm gone. If you ever lose someone close to you, don't ever say they're gone. They'll come back. I'll come back to you..."