I

I- STUPID KIDS.

WHEN SEOKJIN HAD first learned that an idol was cast in a drama alongside him, he'd nearly punched a wall.

Idols, in his experience, were all terrible actors. The first ever full-length drama he'd starred in was with a female idol who, Seokjin would easily admit, was gorgeous. However, before they had even started actually filming, Seokjin had realized that this woman couldn't act to save her life. Her face had lacked any passion, and subsequently, Seokjin's performance had been lackluster as well.

Needless to say, Seokjin hadn't gotten very many acting gigs for a while. So it was perfectly reasonable that he'd developed personal hatred for all idols, although his manager didn't entirely agree.

("He's actually known to be a really good actor, Seok," Sejin had said. "Just give him a chance."

"He's probably just a stupid kid.")

The stupid kid's name is Kim Taehyung, and Seokjin dislikes him for two main reasons: 1) he's an idol, and 2) he's too cute and too likable.

Kim Taehyung, being part of a recently debuted boy group from a small company, has landed himself a fairly significant role in a drama thanks to some strings pulled by his manager, who is apparently cousins with one of the producers. He's still only a teenager, Seokjin's been told, which is apparent by his narrow frame and nervous grins. He seems out of place, not quite accustomed to the atmosphere of this set, but eagerly tries to fit in by greeting everyone with a cheerful smile. Even the cameraman (more like cameraboy, Seokjin thinks) has seemingly fallen for his charm.

Right now, Taehyung is gnawing on his bottom lip, waiting for filming to start. His skinny arms are wrapped around his torso in an attempt to protect himself from the late autumn breeze. Fake bruises peek out from under the collar of his school uniform and dot his arms. He fiddles with the backpack slung over his shoulders and scuffs his shoes against the asphalt, and then the director is calling out Action!

Maybe Sejin was right.

Taehyung isn't a terrible actor, Seokjin realizes. Even though in this scene, he doesn't do much talking, his facial expressions look fairly realistic, and he's an amazing fake crier. (A terrible fake crier himself, Seokjin has to give points to him for that.

He still dislikes the kid, though.)

There's a loud Cut! and Taehyung quickly switches from a depressed high schooler to his normal self, nervously picking at his shirt sleeves.

"That was really good, Taehyungie!" the director says enthusiastically, and something unpleasant stirs within Seokjin.

Seokjin has known the director for quite a while now; he's worked with him for many of his earlier short films and can easily call him a friend. But seeing the director, his friend, suddenly become so close with this kid, this idol who came out of nowhere, so easily- it's frustrating.

"You even gave the kid a nickname, huh?" Seokjin says a little while later to the director in the short break between filming scenes. "Taehyungie?" The man chuckles sheepishly, and Seokjin continues, "Damn, Hoseok, you warmed up to him quick."

"How could I not?" Hoseok laughs. "He's so likable."

"I'm likable," Seokjin says childishly, and then immediately regrets it.

Hoseok chuckles. It does nothing to stop Seokjin from feeling foolish.

One of the producers comes up to Hoseok to discuss something, and Seokjin quietly slinks away to the snack table, where he finds Taehyung nibbling on some shrimp snacks. "Hi, sunbaenim!" he says cheerfully. Seokjin vaguely wonders if the kid's cheeks hurt from smiling so much.

"Hi," Seokjin replies, with not nearly as much enthusiasm. After a moment's hesitation says awkwardly, "So how are you?"

"Pretty good, I think," Taehyung says. "Everyone here's really nice." He plays with the hem of his shirt. "How about you?"

"Not bad." Seokjin eyes the food, his gaze lingering on some crackers. "Kind of tired, though."

"Oh, me too," Taehyung agrees with a nod. "My members and I performed on M Countdown, and then we guested on a radio station, and then we had dance practice, so we got back to the dorm pretty late- And now I'm here. But," he adds as an afterthought, "I guess it's good that I'm tired; it sort of helps me get into my character more, y'know?"

Seokjin knows that Taehyung isn't trying to one-up him; the kid's too nice for that. But all he'd done yesterday was film a few short scenes, go home, and then go out drinking with some friends. Compared to Taehyung, he'd done nothing.

Seokjin sighs quietly. "I suppose that's true."

He notices that Taehyung's fingers are restlessly twisting themselves together, mirroring the nervous energy peeking through his grin, and wonders, in the back of his mind, if the kid's a fan of someone here.

Seokjin, unfortunately, ends up not being able to eat anything, since Hoseok calls him over and tells him it's time to film his scene with Sooyeon, the female lead and Seokjin's character's love interest.

Seokjin, of course, is playing the male lead, a twenty something named Joonhee who takes over his grandfather's bookstore after he passes away. Sooyeon is taking over the role of Yebin, a frequenter of the bookstore who eventually, as happens in these dramas, falls in love with Joonhee.

Taehyung is playing Jiwon, a troubled high schooler who, after a rough start, becomes friends with Joonhee, and (this is the part that will definitely stir up some controversy) develops feelings for him. Apparently Hoseok had been thrilled to have Taehyung as Jiwon, since Taehyung had an "innocent face" that would "capture the essence of teenage heartbreak" well.

Seokjin wonders what Hoseok had thought while casting him.

"Have you talked to Kim Taehyung yet?"

"Mmm." Seokjin nods and swallows the mouthful of food. "Mostly just small talk, though." He pauses. "He seems pretty nice."

Howon shakes his head. "You gotta really talk to him, hyung. Start a full-length conversation with him. I know you generally don't like idols who try to act, but," here he pauses for a moment and gives Seokjin a pointed look, "he's actually a great actor and a really nice kid. You should get to know him."

Seokjin exhales through his nostrils. "He's a teenager."

"Only three years younger than you," Howon mutters. "I'm almost two years younger than you, hyung, and you like me."

"That's debatable."

Howon raises his eyebrows indignantly, laughing. "Hyung!" After pausing for a moment to take a sip of water, he says, "Seriously, hyung. You're missing out, not being friends with Taehyung."

Seokjin shakes his head. "I'm good. Really."

But even as he goes to bed that night, he can't help but wonder what makes Kim Taehyung so goddamn likable.