dust in the wind

+Harry

"Hey, I didn't know you had a boyfriend. Why didn't you ask off for your date?"

I shrug and continue sorting through the vinyls, making sure they're in alphabetical order.

"What's up with you today?"

"Nothing," I mutter.

Fuck off please and thank you.

"Okay grumps, I'm out of here. Make sure to send me-"

"I've got it," I say through gritted teeth.

Okay, so it isn't his fault I haven't talked to Zayn in two days. Well, I tried but he didn't pick up his phone. I thought the date was magical...maybe we're just moving too fast.

Or I really am some sad charity case and he's laughing his ass off for ever taking things this far.

That's absurd. He obviously likes me.

Which makes me even more confused. I shake away the cobwebs in my brain and the bell dings.

Firery red hair and arms marked with colored tattoos.

"Hi," I smile. "Looking for anything in particular or-"

"You must be Harry."

Usually I'd be creeped out but he has such a chill vibe, grins at me and offers his hand for me to shake.

"I'm Ed, Zayn's best mate. You know it's pretty damn annoying listening to him ramble on about you."

I blush furiously and he chuckles.

"However, I must admit you're very cute in person."

"T-thanks," I clear my throat.

"So you can sing?"

That catches me off guard.

Dammit Zayn.

"Uh a little yeah...not well or anything. I just sing around the house. When I'm cleaning or in the shower."

In the shower? How lame Harry.

"You're funny," he laughs heartily, a genuine smile reaching the corner of his eyes. "I own a pub. Book gigs for live performances. I sing a bit myself. Wanna give it a try next Saturday? 10:00 PM sharp."

"I really appreciate the offer but um...pubs aren't really my thing."

"There's no point in being nervous about it. If you want to crash at my place later you can. Here," he jots down his number and I punch it in my phone. "I'll text you the address. Or Zayn can take you if you're more comfortable with that."

"We haven't really talked much recently."

"Oh," his face falters. "That's odd. He hasn't tried to reach me either but he was going to come over tonight, I'm sure he'd love for you to join. Maybe he's just busy."

"I guess," I sigh.

"Hey, don't take it personally. Sometimes he just needs space. He's like that, you know? He could be planning something romantic for ya."

I laugh and he smiles at me encouragingly.

"He talks my ear off about you. I mean he is in love."

"You really think so?"

"I know so. Just think about this. I have a guitar at my place. We can just have a jam session, a few beers. Kick back."

"That sounds nice Ed. Thank you."

"No problem kiddo."

Ring. Ring. Ring.