XIII : Glitz

Two weeks later

I TOUCH UP my lipstick as I wait in front of Shauna's apartment, knowing that she is never on time. Just like I planned for, it takes her a good ten minutes to make her way out to my car, and of course she looks stunning in her gown, her hair and make-up simple and flawless.

"You look hot." I start the drive to the banquet hall, glad that we're on time at least so far.

"So do you, babe." Her dress is a dark, seductive red, her lips and nails done to match.

Thankfully, around seven at night, the traffic isn't too bad. "Do I look like a talented, professional artist? Would you bid over three and a half grand for my painting?"

Shauna whistles. "Is that how much they're charging for it? Damn, girl, that must be one hell of a landscape."

"I almost feel bad giving it away. It just might be my best work." When I finished it over the weekend and let Daniel pick it up, I was almost sure that it was. "Daniel almost had to tear the canvas from my fingers."

"Mm, I can't wait to see that brother of yours." I groan, knowing that I set myself up for this. "When was the last time I was even in the same room as him?" She makes a small hum. "He is so hot. How do I look?"

I shake my head at her, full of disapproval. "You know he's bringing his girlfriend, right?"

She lets out a histrionic gasp. "Rosalyn! Why didn't you tell me before? I would have worn my really tall heels."

•§•

THE NUMBER OF luxury cars outside the building is astounding. The men and women walking into the shining, beautifully decorated hall are definitely from a different part of society than I; I catch glimpses of every single expensive designer brand, every kind of well-cut diamond and string of jewels. Shauna and I try not to show our awe at the sheer amount of money that surrounds us, and I am, somehow, infinitely glad that this long, lacy black gown cost me an arm and a leg.

"How did we end up here?" Shauna whispers to me as we walk inside, making a conscious effort not to stare at any of the gorgeous decor filling the hall or huge chandeliers swinging from the ceiling or the chains of precious gems that hang from the necks of women around us. "Are you sure I look okay?"

I step back and give her a once over, and I am completely honest when I tell her she looks perfect. "How about me?"

"You're stunning, Ros." She gifts me a perfect smile and in that moment I know why we're best friends.

"Now what do we do?" I look around, already lost.

Shauna gifts me a brilliant, mischievous grin. "We have fun, of course." She stands tall, pushing her chin up. "Look like you belong here, okay, Ros? This'll be great."

We walk down the brightly lit corridor towards the banquet room, where hundreds of tables sparkle and glitter with fine China and ornate silverware. The people here tonight must be so incredibly rich—no expenses have been spared.

It all kind of makes me think of the parties from The Great Gatsby. Briefly, I wonder how much our tickets cost, and I can only imagine how much Daniel spent on them.

Just as thoughts of my brother flash through my mind, I catch sight of him across the hall, and he makes his way over to us with Caleb at his side. They both wear dark, well-tailored tuxes and expensive watches, clearly playing the part. They look good, and I know Shauna thinks so too from the way she eyes Daniel appraisingly.