Chapter 1

"Would you like some help with your luggage?"

"Thank you, but I got it." I looked at the taxi driver's eyes in the rearview mirror and smiled. I grabbed my luggage from the trunk and immediately pulled out its handle. After closing the lid of the trunk, I made a thumbs up at the taxi driver through the back window. I watched him drive away.

I turned around and in front of me was the entrance to the tallest building in the city. I grabbed the handle to my luggage tightly and excitedly made my way towards the automatic glass doors.

*******

"Did you get to the apartment with no trouble?"

"Nope."

"Did you forget your suitcase at the airport?"

"Nope."

"Did you-"

"Whatever it is, I'm sure the answer is still no."

"I was gonna ask if you had something to eat," I could picture my sister with a worried look on her face. As the only family I have left, my older sister Holly raised me as if I was her own daughter. She constantly worries over my well-being and can be overprotective.

It took me forever to finally convince her to move to Korea, our mother's home country. The only reason my sister is still in America is because she's finishing up the remaining orders for her clients.

My sister owns a cupcake store. She once told me that our mother had loved sweets, especially cupcakes. I was around three years old, when our mother died, therefore I had no memories of her. My sister, who was ten years old at the time, became my reminder of who was once our mother. She decided to run a cupcake business because it was apparently our mother's dream. And also because she wanted me to have a remembrance of our mother.

"They're supposed to bring our stuff to the apartment tomorrow. Make sure to open the door for the movers and give them something to drink."

"Aye aye, captain," I raised my right hand in salute, then I remembered that she couldn't see me over the phone.

"Please be careful, Hana," the worry in her voice was evident, "I'll be there in a couple of days."

"Don't worry," I assured her, "I can take care of myself. I'm seventeen!"

"I don't care. To me, you're still a baby," she laughed. I rolled my eyes.

"I'm really tired. Can I talk to you tomorrow?"

"Oh, right. I forgot it's already night there. Call me again when you wake up."

"You'll probably be asleep by then," I reminded her.

"I don't care, just call me."

"Fine," I replied in defeat. Nothing can beat my sister's stubbornness.

"Goodnight, baby sis."

"Goodnight, mom." I could hear my sister laugh right before she hung up.

*******

"Yes, yes. I already made a list of the groceries. I'm just waiting for the bus to get here." I sat underneath the shade of the bus stop with my phone pressed against my ear. The girl sitting next to me looked annoyed as she scooted away from me.

"Why are foreigners so loud? So annoying," she muttered in Korean.

I forgot that speaking in English wasn't looked at favorably here. People see you as an ignorant snob, a typical foreigner. My distinct features didn't help as well.