CHAPTER FOUR

'Hello,' I replied, studying his face critically.

'Have a seat,' he gestured with his hands.

As I sat down, it was then I noticed that he was slightly bent to the left — just like Josh; the mysterious guy at the trial.

'You're Josh, the guy from the trial?' I asked, pointing a finger towards him.

'Yeah, I am indeed.' he smiled and proceeded to sit down.

'But ... but you look so different, you looked a bit —' I paused, not knowing the right word to say as I didn't want to offend him.

'Unkempt, rugged, dirty?' he said.

'Well ... yeah,' I said dragging my words.

'I knew I had to switch up my look ever since the trial. I realise I gave that lawyer a foothold to try to discredit my testimony ... maybe if I was dressed a bit more presentable, the judge would have granted my testimony more consideration and your sentence would have been shorter.'

'Oh no, don't blame yourself,' I replied with haste. 'On the contrary, you saved me from a death sentence and I'm so grateful to you.'

'It's nothing, you don't need to thank me, I chose to do it,' he said modestly.

'But, why did you choose to help me? I mean, you don't know me.'

He gazed into my eyes, it felt as if he could see into my soul. I turned away shyly; wondering who he was and why he was so interested in me.

'Have you ever seen me before the trial?' he asked, looking deeply into my eyes after I had restored eye contact with him.

'No,' I replied.

He seemed hurt and disappointed, but I had no memory of him before the trial, so I found it hard to understand his hurt. Then, I noticed him staring intensely at something behind me with a disgusted look on his face, I turned around out of curiosity and immediately my heart leaped for joy.

'REX!' I screamed, jumping out of my seat and flinging my arms around his neck. When he reciprocated the gesture, I relished the feeling of his strong firm hands wrapped around my waist. Seeing him beam with joy at the sight of me, got me even more excited.

'Oh Cassy, how are you?' he asked, grinning from ear to ear; showing off his teeth, which sparkled like fine diamonds.

'Better now that I have set my eyes on you ... why didn't you come earlier?' I whispered.

He hesitated for a second, then replied:

'Work, I couldn't get off work until now. But now I'm here and that's all that's matters.'

'Ahem, ahem.' Josh cleared his throat, breaking the bond between Rex and me. Josh had what seemed to be a false smile spread across his face as he stared deeply at Rex, which made Rex uneasy. Rex gazed deeply back at him, then abruptly broke eye contact and turned to me.

'Isn't this the strange looking guy from the trial?' he asked.

'Yes, he is.'

'So, what's he doing here?'

'He came to see me and I really appreciate that, considering what he'd already done for me in the trial. He saved my life you know.' I said, smiling at Josh, who sweetly returned the smile.

Rex didn't look too pleased with Josh and vice versa as they returned to staring sternly at each other. I felt the tension in the atmosphere increase by the second until I couldn't bear it any longer.