Chapter 32

"One, two, three," Thomas counted before we all pulled on the vine.

Thomas counted again and we hoisted Alby further up the Maze walls.

Thomas had come up with the idea of lifting Alby up the stone walls of the Maze so we had a better chance of surviving and the creatures wouldn't get Alby.

A noise suddenly came from within the Maze that I knew all too well.

I froze as the sound echoed through the place. It then started to sink in about what I had done. I may not even make it out this time.

Minho's movement from behind me brought me back to what was happening in front of me.

"What are you doing?" Thomas questioned.

"We gotta go," Minho told us.

"We gotta go now," He repeated.

"No, no. just a little more and than we'll tie it off," Thomas told him.

The movements started to get louder and closer, making things harder as Minho was getting more and more nervous.

"Minho, stay with me," Thomas tried to calm the Runner down.

The vine was beginning to hurt by this time from trying to hold Alby up. I was pretty sure I had cuts and scrapes all over them. Minho really wasn't helping either.

Minho suddenly started panicking again, trying to pull us both away from Alby.

"Stay with us Minho," Thomas told him.

"Just a little more. We're almost there," He added.

"I'm sorry guys," Minho suddenly said.

What was happening?

"What?" Thomas asked before Minho suddenly just ran off and left us.

"Minho!" Thomas yelled after him.

"What the hell?!" I screamed.

"We have to finish this," Thomas told me.

I nodded before helping him hoist Alby up the walls one more time before the noise beace really loud.

"He'll be fine there, just tie it off," I told Thomas, not wanting to come face to face with one of those things again.

Before Thomas could do anything though the familiar sounds of the creatures sounded as though it was right around the corner.

"Hold it. We need to hide," I told him.

My heartbeat started to pick up as I remember the creatures and what they looked like.

"In here," Thomas suddenly grabbed me and pulled me into a cave-like hole in the wall just below Alby.

Thomas pulled me close to him as the 'thing' started creeping right passes both Alby and us.

My hands started to tremble as I remembered what those things did to me. I remember them stabbing me and sending me through the Changing.

I felt Thomas take my hand in his to comfort me as the monster passed. I turned around so I was now facing him rather than having my back pressed to him.

I looked into his eyes and did the first thing that came to my mind.

I kissed him.

Thomas froze for a minute before kissing me back.

I don't know what came over me or why I did it. I didn't even have feelings for him.

We pulled away and stared at one another for a moment.