The Assignment

Disclaimer: Any names I use in this story are made up. If I happen to use a name that already exists, it's completely coincidental.

"Hey Jesse!" Robin called out. Robin was the director of nursing for the home health care agency she worked for. Jesse only worked there for a few weeks before being promoted to assistant manager for companions.

"Yeah Robin?" Jesse said tiredly, she'd just finished up her last shift for today and was going to get dinner.

"I'm apologize for doing this. I know you're tired from working two assignments, but I have one more." Robin said, Jesse looked back at her and sighed.

"Hand me the file." Jesse motioned for the tan folder in the other women's hand.

"His name is Lucas Edwards. Went on a boating trip with some friends, almost drowned when he fell overboard, hurting his hip in the process. He was never the same after that." Robin explained sadly.

"PTSD?" Jesse asked, reading through the file. He was only 30. No family, no job. The state sent him checks every month and provided him with care givers.

"The care giver is almost positive, but he won't get the help he needs." Jesse listened with interest as Robin went on about Lucas. She felt extremely sorry for him, he was only thirty, with possible PTSD and hip pain so bad sometimes he can't get up in the morning. He needed the care giver to do basic tasks for him that he should be able to do himself.

"So do you mind taking a third assignment?" Robin asked.

"Robin, I would love too. But I'm not trained to handle PTSD cases. Even possible ones." Jesse said, handing back the file.

"Jesse dear, why don't you just visit him. He's so lonely. He doesn't have anyone to talk to. The care giver is trained to deal with PTSD cases in case something happens. Please." Robin pleaded, Jesse sighed.

"Fine, I'll go meet him." She said in defeat. Robin smiled.

"You won't regret this!" She said happily, handing back the file for Jesse to take home.

Robin quickly walked away so there would be no more discussion. Jesse was secretly glad she did.

She quickly walked to her car and drove down the highway into McKinney where the restaurant was at. Jesse made it there with time to spare, the restaurant closed at 10 and it was 9:15.

Walking in, she turned the corner to get into line when she bumped in someone. Her eyes finally focused and saw that it was a man, with short dusty grey hair, and deep black eyes that she could stare into all day.

"I'm so sorry sir, I didn't see you." Jesse apologized, kneeling down to pick his phone up. She noticed that he held a cane in his right hand, wondering if she hurt him when she ran into him.

"It's fine, it should be I who is apologizing. I wasn't paying attention." The man said, Jesse handed him his phone, which luckily has no cracks from the drop.

"Well, uh, have a good day." Jesse dismissed, the man nodded and walked out.

For the rest of the night, Jesse couldn't stop thinking about the man she literally bumped into.